What's new
What's new

Bridgeport 6F-B Powerfeed

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
I have an old series 1 BP that has a 6F-B Powerfeed on it. I replaced a gear in it, but the pinion on the drive motor isn’t meshing with it properly.

Is there a way to adjust the pinion depth on the motor? It looks like it’s integral to the motor shaft.

Here’s a video where you can hear how crunchy it is. I’ve tried adjusting the position of the gear hub to no avail.

https://youtu.be/uZJ8kp-LeWo

The motor pinion looks in good shape.

1384ca55d0c1b8498478ef121d2ab2c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured out the cause of the issue. When I bought the replacement gear, it was marked as a standard torque version (#1632216) but it was a mislabeled high torque version (#1632218).

The hi torque version has 58 teeth, the standard is 51. You can't tell just by casually looking at them. I assumed the part I bought was correct. Once I disassembled the power feed again, I decided to count teeth, and sure enough, it was the wrong part.

A new standard torque gear is on its way.

Bridgeport Mill - Disassemble Power Feed.jpg

I figured out the cause of the issue. When I bought the replacement gear, it was marked as a standard torque version (#1632216) but it was a mislabeled high torque version (#1632218).

The hi torque version has 58 teeth, the standard is 51. You can't tell just by casually looking at them. I assumed the part I bought was correct. Once I disassembled the power feed again, I decided to count teeth, and sure enough, it was the wrong part.

A new standard torque gear is on its way.

View attachment 338521
I saw your YouTube video. Tough break but glad you got it working.

Back