What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Boss 5 CNC Rebuild problems

BDGiven

Plastic
Some time ago I picked up two of these mills to rebuild, as a learning experience...:nutter:
One was running and the other had the steppers off and needed a Vari-drive belt.
After moving them to my shop I learned how to make a rotary phase converter, balance it all out, and watched where I hooked the generated leg. X axis popped a transistor after moving a few times. I replaced it and two more blew. That's when I decided to rip it all out and rebuild using the original steppers. This was supposed to be the cheap rebuild to flip for some capital to throw at the other machine.
So, I opted for 3 KL-11080 drives that have internal power supplies, a Chinese 5 axis breakout board, a 24VDC power supply for the limit switches, and Linuxcnc on an old PC I had laying around. Plus some new cables, then paint when I get it operational.

Here's where it started heading south!
I got all three axis moving with the stepconfig in Linuxcnc but the Limit/Home switches aren't working. I mean, they're all hooked up and correctly cutting voltage when activated but the signal change isn't making it to the PC. I found that I may need some pull-up resistors on the opto-isolators for the pins operating the inputs. Maybe? I disabled them till I get the rest sorted out. Because, I noticed "Z" axis wasn't traveling the correct distance.
My manual states the "Z" is a standard 200 steps per rotation at 2:1 to a 4mm pitch lead screw and I'm micro-stepping @ 10. (running in inches I had it set at 6.35 rev/in) The drive sounded good while moving fast and slow with the settings I had for that information, but the distance was off quite a bit.
I decided to put an indicator on the bottom of the quill and use the .100 wheel on the bottom of the motor the measure how far the quill travels for a full rotation of the stepper. The quill travels exactly .200" for one full rotation of the .100" graduated wheel on the stepper shaft! I took the guard off and counted teeth on the pulleys, both the motor and the quill have 26 teeth. 1:1 So I changed the stepconfig to 1:1 and played with the rev/in till it's traveling the correct distance. ( I know, NO GUESSING, But I'm not digging down to that ball screw to count threads!)
My Stepconfig for Z ended up;
200 steps
10 micro-stepping
1:1
5 rev/in.
.0333 s
.0167 in.
10000 Hz
10000 steps/in

It's traveling the correct distance and sounds good while moving fast, but it really doesn't like low feed rates. It's not right.

My other machine has the same pulleys on "Z" so I don't think someone swapped them both.
But the quill travels .200" down while the measuring wheel on the bottom of the "Z" stepper counts .100" for a full rev. That really bothers me.

Does anyone see what I'm missing?:confused:

Going through the manual again I see my original "Z" settings were for a Boss 6.1 not a Boss 5.
Scrolling a file instead of turning a page can be misleading.
So today I'll dump the micro-stepping from the drive and software and see how it likes that.

the difference in a boss 5 and boss 6 is smaller drive cog belt pulleys on step motors

this improved resolution from 0.001 in on boss 5 (+/-.0005) to +/- .00025 per step or .0005 in resolution on boss 6---so drive pulleys are smaller on boss 6

how have you wired the axis step motors?

the k-11080 drive prefers 4 wire series configured output to step motors
factory bridgeport boss 3-6 used an odd 6 wire config which must be rewired 4 wire series for most newer drives--also the k-11080 does not have digital signal processing which means higher likelihood of mid-range growling and higher heat production---you will need to experiment with micro-step settings
to minimize resonance/instability

suggestion--post pics of step motor wiring

Motors are wired in series.
A+ = white/green 1
A- = white/orange 3
B+ = white/blue 5
B- = white 4
6 & 2 Jumpered
7 & 8 Jumpered
20190622_drive wires.jpg20190622_motor wires.jpg

I'll experiment with the micro-stepping to see what she likes.
These drives also have switch jumpers for amperage. Will that play much of a roll if I move those around? Right now I have them all set to 8.0A

I'm not sure why, but when I uploaded the pictures they rolled 90° left. Drives and motors are mounted with the writing up, not sideways.

wiring looks correct--series wound Superior stepper motor

these steppers are 40 or more years old ---they will take up to 160 volts dc
check the dc output of the 11080 drives--configure input dc power to stepper around 800 watts-- so if dc output of drive is 140 vdc around 6 amp current limit dip switch setting is good to start

keep in mind factory setting on these motors was 58 to 62 volts dc input at 10 amps---equaling 600 watts

insulating varnish on these motors may have been pushed to the limit many times in terms of heat cycling--check resistance of all 4 windings--8 leads with unconnected terminals

record values for reference

Back