What's new
What's new

Bridgeport CNC Series 1 Spindle replacement parts

Jojo is here

Plastic
My Bridgeport Series I CNC has a Kwik Switch 200 tool holder on it. Obviously those are hard to come by. I am just a hobbyist so I'd like to switch the spindle out for a R8 however the spindle on this is longer than the standard Bridgeport series 1 spindle. Rough measurement is 23 7/8" or about 607mm from the bottom of the lower bearing to the top of the spindle. All the bearings appear to be standard. Does anyone know where I could get the required longer spindle or even just a part number? I would also like to get my hands on a parts manual.

My Bridgeport Series I CNC has a Kwik Switch 200 tool holder on it. Obviously those are hard to come by. I am just a hobbyist so I'd like to switch the spindle out for a R8 however the spindle on this is longer than the standard Bridgeport series 1 spindle. Rough measurement is 23 7/8" or about 607mm from the bottom of the lower bearing to the top of the spindle. All the bearings appear to be standard. Does anyone know where I could get the required longer spindle or even just a part number? I would also like to get my hands on a parts manual.

R8 sucks for many reasons, find the right tool holders, they are out there.

Why do you insist on not providing any useful information?

R8 sucks for many reasons, find the right tool holders, they are out there.

For some reason I knew you would jump on here and give me your opinion that has nothing to do with my question. WHY??? I know you think the R8 is garbage.

So to satisfy the troll that doesn't provide any helpful information.
1) Kwik Switch 200 is rare, expensive, and doesn't have provisions for a draw bar
2) I bought the machine used with a slightly damaged spindle (it is usable but not great) so I want to replace it anyway.
3) I would settle for a NMTB30 spindle as well but I can't find that in the longer length required to fit my mill.

Maybe you could actually be helpful and continue your bashing of the R8 at the same time by pointing me in the direction of a longer spindle with an NMTB30?

For some reason I knew you would jump on here and give me your opinion that has nothing to do with my question. WHY??? I know you think the R8 is garbage.
The thing is tho, he's right. R8 is bad enough for a manual mill, it's an awful taper, but for nc, it's really bad, because you want to be able to use several tools. NMTB is a maybe but you don't need a drawbar and kwik-switch is very handy for nc work. Hurcos came with them for that reason. Five tools to make this part, boom boom boom boom boom, done. Not possible with R8 and even a power drawbar nmtb is way slow.

You really are better off to scrounge up more kwik-switch tooling, you'll be happy you did in the long run.

I have an Erickson Quick Change #30 spindle for a Boss machine. No bearings, and I'm not certain about the retaining nut. PM me if you are interested. The Erickson spindles aren't drilled for drawbars.

Back