What's new
What's new

Bridgeport dial drawing wanted

Yan Wo

Stainless
I'd like to copy the Bridgeport mill dial lock system when I make larger dials for my 1948 South Bend lathe. The Bridgeport design seems superior to the original SB.

Does anyone have a drawing of the dial and lock mechanism? Just a sketch is all I need. I can almost visualize it from the parts I see on eBay.

Thanks!

Jon

I agree the SB system with a screwdriver slotted setscrew is poor. In my opinion the BP is not much better, and since you would need to shrink the items to fit the SB could well end up worse.

A thumbscrew is the simplest and would be simple to add to a larger dial. Now if you wanted the best design of all, look at a monarch 10EE dial setup, thumb lever to lock, integral threading stop with two turns of travel, CW and CCW numbered tic's one for turning the other for boring. There was even a setup that was cumlative for 6" of crosslide travel. None of which could fit on a SB apron.

IMHO

If you're making new ones from scratch, might as well look at other lathe dials as well - a lot have a knurled thumbscrew on the front which presses a pad outwards into the rotating ring, which can make for great precision and feel if it's done right. I've never loved the BP's tendency to rotate as one snugs up on a setting.

Toms Wheels and zac b,

Thanks for the suggestion to look at the dial lock mechanism other lathes use. I used a Bridgeport dial lock maybe once or twice and don't remember having a problem getting it positioned exactly where I wanted it.

Jon

Back