What's new
What's new

Bridgeport forward and reverse

Lanso

Cast Iron
I am storing some machines for a friend who is closing his shop, one is a Bridgeport with a J head Vari-speed 1 1/2 hp.
It looks to be in good/rebuilt condition but the switch left of the head labeled Hi/Low Range actually is forward/reverse - no big deal. What seems strange to me is when the "speed range" (back gear) lever on the right is switched the spindle rotation reverses along with spindle speed change.

Attachments

• IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 792
Yep... that's how it works. To keep the spindle turning in the correct direction the motor needs to reverse in low range (when you switch into back gear). If you couldn't/didn't reverse the spindle rotation direction the spindle would be running in the wrong direction.

In high, the spindle is direct drive from the front vari-speed pulley. When switched into back gears, power is routed through two gears which changes the spindle direction. Therefore, the motor direction needs to change to keep it rotating in the correct cutting direction.

Ted

That's funny! It also explains the High/Low range plate on the switch. The last time I ran a Bridgeport was in 1970.
My Tree doesn't require that so never really thought about it.

Thanks

Back