What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Horizontal Mill Attachment

D4BOB

Plastic
Hi, brand new on the forum, been a lurker for a while.
I have a Clone Bridgeport Vertical Mill which I have a right angle head and an arbour support that fits on the dove tail under the ram.
My question is how is the support clamped to the dovetail under the ram. All fits together fine, but there must be something that clamps the dovetail.IMG_6415.jpgIMG_6419.jpgIMG_6418.jpgIMG_6416.jpg

It looks like that red block is pulled sideways to clamp the right dovetail to the ram.

On a Bridgeport arbor support there are
two steel pieces.

The screw from the side forces the blocks to
Pivot and clamp on both sides of the ram’s
Inner surface.

424494D6-6A9F-4F36-8B71-FF6852922D70.jpg

DFD9C00A-96C3-42FD-A4D7-E5FF1133E0E4.jpg

Looks like you’re missing the second block, and the square pivot part, and the flexible
Joint between the blocks (goes in the small hole of the block you have).

Thanks Brandenberger,I'm not completely understanding how this works. My mill is a clone and the horizontal attachment is a no name, so I have a bitsa. Looks like my clamp bolt is too short / broken and I'm missing a block. The shape of the casting up underneath the ram doesn't seem to have enough space for the block to go up into anyway, so there is a miss match there. I need to look at other machines. How do the blocks pivot? I can see there is a pivot point between the blocks in your photo. Not sure how the bolt functions.

Thanks Brandenberger,I'm not completely understanding how this works. My mill is a clone and the horizontal attachment is a no name, so I have a bitsa. Looks like my clamp bolt is too short / broken and I'm missing a block. The shape of the casting up underneath the ram doesn't seem to have enough space for the block to go up into anyway, so there is a miss match there. I need to look at other machines. How do the blocks pivot? I can see there is a pivot point between the blocks in your photo. Not sure how the bolt functions.

Well.. "you get the idea", right?

So one way or another, fab you a "wedging action" that is not so aggressive as to break anything ... and go make chips. Anything that works, works. There's no "OEM religion" in it.

These goods do not ordinarily get used all that often on light/medium vertical mills in any case.

Mostly the odd "problem solver", otherwise spending their lonely lives gathering dust.

And losing track of their minor working bits!

"QED"

Well.. "you get the idea", right?

So one way or another, fab you a "wedging action" that is not so aggressive as to break anything ... and go make chips. Anything that works, works. There's no "OEM religion" in it.

These goods do not ordinarily get used all that often on light/medium vertical mills in any case.

Mostly the odd "problem solver", otherwise spending their lonely lives gathering dust.

And losing track of their minor working bits!

"QED"

Here are some more pictures.

C749F066-520A-4492-901B-4661D9E6F5DD.jpgEED03939-9A69-49C7-B07C-D9E2BEBBFE26.jpg90689CC4-9E80-448D-B6F8-07A3A6CC3D2B.jpg8D8D2930-0A79-4F1F-8E96-F36F7A3FE7C3.jpg562630F7-73DE-4AEA-8292-E4B52816ABD6.jpg

Photos are perfect. Thanks. I see!! (said the blind man) Looks like i'm missing the other block and the pivot. Not hard to make. I need to go look at it all again to see if this will actually fit my mill. The support slides onto the dovetail under the ram no problem, I need to check how this locking mechanism will fit into the underside of the ram.

Thanks Thermite, now I understand the principal, I'll figure it out for my machine.

Back