What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Identification Help

Jeffaggie

Plastic
Hello Guys,

This is my first post here but i have been reading the forum for a while and appreciate the volume of knowledge here. I am looking to get my first mill, and have found the Bridgeport in the attached pictures, and i was hoping to see if anyone could help me figure out more information on it. After an exhaustive google search on the serial number i discovered that, that is not the right identification number to learn anything about it. My question is why does this bridgeport have two motors. One is in the vertical position above the spindle and the other is in the horizontal position to the right side of the mill, and it has a ~3" belt, that attaches to a flywheel, and what looks like it could go to another spindle.IMG_1413 (1).jpgIMG_1416.jpgIMG_1415 (1).jpgIMG_1417.jpgIMG_1414.jpg

your pictures come up so small, I really cant see anything. But im thinking its not a bridgeport, but some other mill, with a bridgeport mhead on it.

Yep , a old horizontal mill with a "M" head hung on it. M head is a small light duty head that uses odd collets ,MT 2 or B&S 7.

Yep , a old horizontal mill with a "M" head hung on it. M head is a small light duty head that uses odd collets ,MT 2 or B&S 7.

Thank you for the reply and information. In your opinion, do you think this would be an acceptable mill for the home gamer with no machining experience such as myself? They are asking $1,500.00 but said they were negotiable which means they’ll probably come down to $800-$1,000. I’ve seen a huge range in prices on the used mills so it’s tough to figure out what a fair deal is.

Personalty I would leave it where it sits. Looks like a old line shaft mill that was new a 100 years ago,not the best thing for a beginner . And it will be heavy and well worn. And as I said a "M" head BP is light duty 1/2 mill is as big as it will take.A bit better than a Chinese drill/mill but not buy much.It would need to cone with lots of tooling to be worth even $800.

John, Thank you so much! In the back of my mind I had the same feeling, and I just needed confirmation to keep me from making an impulsive decision.

Back