What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV -HLV-BK spindles not HLV-H

Kiwi_007

Aluminum
I seem to recall that the first Hardinge HLV's (prior to serial number xxx) required the headstock to be sent back to Hardinge to have the bearings replaced.

What was the serial number?

I know there are 2 styles of HLV spindles assemblies, one has the drive gear for the geartrain keyed onto the spindle, the other has the drive gear for the geartrain machined as part of the spindle extension and requires 2 pins to be removed and the end of the spindle to be removed to replace the spindle bearings.

Which is the early spindle and which is the latter spindle for the HLV?

Kiwi

transcribed from the manual:-
Hardinge manual said:
IMPORTANT: The headstock for machines sith serial numbers in the Group 124 to 399 must be returned to the factory in Elmira, New York, for belt replacement as these units do not have a quill-type spindle to permit the changing of belts by users. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE HEADSTOCK SPINDLE ON THESE MACHINES.

Trouble is, I don't know how the Elmira/US serial numbers tied in with the Middlesex/UK ones where mine was built. Gunner Asch (Mark Wieber) in the usenet group rec.crafts.metalworking wrote a very useful recipe for changing the Hardinge headstock bearings. I've got a copy of it on my web server here.

My 3-bearing HLV spindle has the gearbox gear pinned to it with two roll pins, there's no key and the spindle is one piece. Also, I read someplace that the HLV has a castellated nut - mine doesn't, it has holes in the face for a pin wrench. I had to make one special for the job.

I do have a vague memory of completely buggering a long pin punch in the headstock dissassembly efforts :eek:. Also of having to make a number of dedicated pin wrenches. A Specific memory was for the disassembly of the tailstock. The end of a suitable diameter socket was ground away to leave two lugs sticking out. This to engage the castellated nut that holds those bits together.

Back