Bridgeport Interact Failure - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is an interfaces manual downloadable on the German Heidenhain site that details cable requirements for all the early TNC controllers. If you can't find it PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmawson View Post
    There is an interfaces manual downloadable on the German Heidenhain site that details cable requirements for all the early TNC controllers. If you can't find it PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy.
    I have checked through the heidenhain site and going by there control manual the 145 and 155 controllers use the same wiring diagrams so they must be the same.

I powered up my machine last night and checked the parameters that Neil has posted. A TNC 145 controller only has 79 parameters so the above parameters must be to set up the 151 for drip feeding.

On the US ebay you can buy a cable that is USB to 25 pin made up specifically to suit the 145 controller. I know that they require 'real' RS232 but has anyone ever tried using these cables with any success? It has some special FTDI chip that supposedly works.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by scott_walker View Post
    I have checked through the heidenhain site and going by there control manual the 145 and 155 controllers use the same wiring diagrams so they must be the same.
    Agreed. The 145C and 151B/155 manuals I have here show identical cable diagrams.

I powered up my machine last night and checked the parameters that Neil has posted. A TNC 145 controller only has 79 parameters so the above parameters must be to set up the 151 for drip feeding.
    Odd. My 145C manual shows 72. Perhaps yours is a different version. The posted parameters are to set up the 151A for TNCserver. That machine hasn't ever been dripfed, though the 151B parameters I sent are for a different machine that has dripfeeding capability.

On the US ebay you can buy a cable that is USB to 25 pin made up specifically to suit the 145 controller. I know that they require 'real' RS232 but has anyone ever tried using these cables with any success? It has some special FTDI chip that supposedly works.

Cheers
    Can't help you there, though FWIW I have a 9pin connector at my PC and a 25 pin at the control that works. Somewhere I have a connection diagram for them. But it sounds as if you'd like a cable with USB instead.

The original Heidenhain cable diagrams are for RS-232-C (American EIA standard), in Europe referred to as V.24, but both are the same.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Bridgeport interact series 1 with Heidenhain TNC151A

In the software tnc server the tnc 145 IS listed so it sould be able to drip feed. Like what some one else said i use an old XP machine with an rs 232 port to input to memory or drip feed it. I have had 0 luck with it to usb.

If you never had success with a drip feed and cant get it to input or export any lines. you may have the same issue i did with bad send/receive chips. They just went bad from lack of use according to the guy at Heidenhain.

The programing examples book i have does list the tnc 145 So I would think its the same cable and post as the tnc151A.

I would be interested in seeing your custom made post. I use a Mastercam post with no issues but need to change it from .pst or whatever it spits it out as to .h

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Warning: Info guaranteed for amount paid.
    >Not sure if the 145 can be drip fed (aka "blockwise transfer" in HH-speak), see below chart where "blockwise transfer" is not checked.
    >The 2500 has the 14-pin dsub connector; I made one up with parts from Mouser/Digikey etc. At the pc-end the pins of course are the standard serial-port pins, and you just need to know which pins they go to on the controller connector.
    >Use an old PC with a "real" serial port; or more recent model Panasonic Toughbooks still have a serial-port (I use both). My pc-expert buddy says while serial-to-usb widgets "should" and "usually" work, if something is flaky it will be very difficult to tell if it's the usb-to-serial widget.
    >The data transfer protocal parameters also need to be set in the TNC-Server program and MOD functions of the control per the data in the figures.
    I use Visualcam with a post for the TNC 2500, the control is set in ISO mode and is fed g-code.
    A couple of other tidbits when set in ISO mode and uploading programs: all the programs must end in ".I", and the name of the program must be three numeric characters (001-999), AND the first line of the program must be "%123" where "123" matches the program name numbers.

tnc-cable-pinouts.jpgtnc-data-operating-modes.jpgtnc-mp-data-interface-1.jpgtnc-mp-data-interface-2.jpgtnc-pin-layouts-25pinetc.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

145 is 2400 baud only as I recall

write a program in the machine and send it to the pc to test, it avoids control errors and lets you see if there is comm or not

IIRC the PC does not do 'real' rs232, and thus you need some jumpers to fool the TNC into thinking it is there.

I have a little wiring thingy that I set up 27 years ago and has a ball of tape around it.

actually I have already answered this question for the OP

Bridgeport TNC 145 PC connection

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ordered a serial cable with 25 pin and 9 pin rs232 connection off ebay to suit TNC 155 and it arrived today. I tried it just incase it worked with my serial to usb adapter but no dice. I added the jumpers recommended to fool the controller but still nothing. I need to try and get myself an old PC now and keep the fingers crossed that it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vincent eggleton View Post
    I have a Bridgeport interact series 1 with Heidenhain TNC151A

In the software tnc server the tnc 145 IS listed so it sould be able to drip feed. Like what some one else said i use an old XP machine with an rs 232 port to input to memory or drip feed it. I have had 0 luck with it to usb.....
    You're dripfeeding a 151A? Now I'm interested!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ordered a serial cable with 25 pin and 9 pin rs232 connection off ebay to suit TNC 155 and it arrived today. I tried it just incase it worked with my serial to usb adapter but no dice. I added the jumpers recommended to fool the controller but still nothing. I need to try and get myself an old PC now and keep the fingers crossed that it works.
    How are you "checking" that is is (or is not) communicating with the controller. After setting the TNC Server program transfer parameters, (seems I also had to set the ME/FE setting on the control also, not sure) it should say "ready" in the TNC Server box in the lower right corner if it sees the controller.

10. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scott according to one of the above charts your TNC145 will only work in 'ME' mode but that does allow you to use the ME101/102 external magnetic tape unit.

I have a tape unit here sitting in a cupboard no longer used if it's any use to you?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The process i went through was. Power up the machine and go to programme and editing then press EXT button on the control. The controller is connected to the PC via the usb adaptor and TNC Server is open with Baud rate set to 2400 and using serial protocol with ME selected. Bottom left of TNC Server says connection not established no matter what i do.

I have a tape reader for the machine and have exported and imported programs using it so i know the connection port works.

Trying to source a PC today and try again tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The process i went through was. Power up the machine and go to programme and editing then press EXT button on the control. The controller is connected to the PC via the usb adaptor and TNC Server is open with Baud rate set to 2400 and using serial protocol with ME selected. Bottom left of TNC Server says connection not established no matter what i do.

I have a tape reader for the machine and have exported and imported programs using it so i know the connection port works.

Trying to source a PC today and try again tomorrow.
    what does the TNC say?

If it does not give you an error when you hit ext then you are getting somewhere

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The TNC says something like program data tranfer or something like that. When i pull the 25 pin plug out an error comes up. I got myself an old XP laptop out of work today that has a 9 pin rs232 on it and downloaded TNC Server onto it so fingers crossed it works this evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The TNC says something like program data tranfer or something like that. When i pull the 25 pin plug out an error comes up. I got myself an old XP laptop out of work today that has a 9 pin rs232 on it and downloaded TNC Server onto it so fingers crossed it works this evening.
    You are getting somewhere. Is there a menu for transfer commands visible at the TNC? The options should be "read-in selected program", read-out selected program", read-out all programs", etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you do not have an error, you are pretty close, I think. Generally no error means it is communicating. I get an error if the Tncremont software is not fired up

certainly easier with the serial port

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Photo #2 in post #25 of this thread says that EXT is not available on the TNC145, and that it only works in ME mode which is why I offered you the ME101/2 mag tape unit !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Photo #2 in post #25 of this thread says that EXT is not available on the TNC145, and that it only works in ME mode which is why I offered you the ME101/2 mag tape unit !
    I ran a 145 for 20 years and downloaded to a computer via the serial port. Actually had two different 145 controlled machines with a rs232 switchbox and downloaded programs to both, for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But presumably not as 'drip feed' for programs bigger than the memory?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But presumably not as 'drip feed' for programs bigger than the memory?
    no just as transfer

the EXT he is referring to is the key on the machine

One does not need the tape drive to transfer programs

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok so major break through this evening. Using the bought cable and an old pc with serial port i have been able to transfer programs to and from the machine. Going to make a step by step list of how to do this along with cable make up, PC setup and controller actions. Thank you everyone for the help with all of this. Will document it all for the next person.

On to the next problem, the generic TNC145 post i downloaded to use with fusion 360 needs tweaked. For a program that uses the CC feature for radius features the post is writing a 3 position line of code X,Y and Z and the controller will not accept this as TNC 145 is 2.5D. For the part i modeled i just deleted the Z move out as it was staying the same the whole operation and the controller accepted it no problem.

Are post processors easy to understand and edit or is it a whole can of worms?

Cheers everyone