What's new
What's new

bridgeport J head lubrication questions

henrylr

Plastic
I have Bridgeport J head made in 1959 and in one manual, I found online, it showed a set screw on the left side of the head that is to be removed for greasing the bull gears. My manual does not show this and the head has no set screw so how are the bull gears lubed?

And, in the manual I own, the picture for lubing the head shows a large oil cup on the right and a smaller one higher up and slightly to the right and the manual calls for Vactra heavy/medium oil for both, which i believe would be viscosity of 68. Another manual found online calls for light spindle oil for the spindle bearings and Vactra heavy/medium for the spindle down feed. What oil should be used on my old J head?

Thanks,
henryr

I sent my lube question to H&W and got the reply below.

The bull gears need to be greased with lithium grease. We sell this grease in tubes (EP-1). You will have to take your machine apart to get to the bull gears so you can fill the cavity around those. You will not need to worry about greasing the bull gears until you tear into your machine again for maintenance.

Nowhere in my manual, for the Bridgeport with J head, is grease listed for use. The Section 3.1 J head lubrication lists Vactra heavy medium for all three lube points on the J head.

Today I found many sources for Bridgeport manuals. I read a few that were from 1954,1964,1966,1971 and 1979. It seems Bridgeport changed the recommended lubes over the years and it seems the older manuals list Vactra heavy medium for the three lube points on the J head and later manuals list light spindle oil for the quill bearings and heavy/medium or some other brand and viscosity for the other two head lubing locations. And none of them list grease for the bull gears.

Today I found many sources for Bridgeport manuals. I read a few that were from 1954,1964,1966,1971 and 1979. It seems Bridgeport changed the recommended lubes over the years and it seems the older manuals list Vactra heavy medium for the three lube points on the J head and later manuals list light spindle oil for the quill bearings and heavy/medium or some other brand and viscosity for the other two head lubing locations. And none of them list grease for the bull gears.

The bull gears are meant to be oiled - but some builders [likeH&W] will grease them as an alternative, as a precaution to them not being oiled in the future [ lack of maintainance]

I would go with the most modern lube specs. There have been great gains in oil properties since the 1950's.

Back