What's new
What's new

Bridgeport - Knee and ballscrew swap??

acrosteve

Aluminum
So, my current Bridgeport is a 1957 vintage - BR 31769. I have about 8" of Y travel on it. Finally bought a J Head Bridgeport!

I jut picked up another machine + a parts machine. The parts machine (BR 253935) does not include a table or saddle, but there was a Y balllscrew with the knee. The knee on the parts machine is 4" longer than my current one. So, I guess that would give me nearly 12" of Y travel. I suppose I would prefer to keep my current base and ram, is it has the "Bridgeport" cast into it, where the parts machine has the plastic "Bridgeport" signs. And they are broken, and the paint is terrible. So, visually, my current machine is much better looking.

So anyway, is it feasible for me to even try, or would it be a waste of time to try an put my saddle on the "new" knee and switch them?

Thanks.

Oh, the other mill I am keeping is a "Bridgeport by Textron" 12/BR 167006. I wonder what the age of that machine is?

This is the head I will put on it. What replacement head is this?

So you currently have a short knee and want to put the normal knee on it? There is no difference between the two, so your saddle will fit on the normal knee and the normal knee will fit on your current column...

Is that what you are getting at?

Jon

I think so Jon. Thanks. Since my initial post, I did measure across the top dovetail on the knees and there is a slight difference, but I suppose the gib will make up the adjustment needed.

Thanks

Back