What's new
What's new

Bridgeport M head motor pulley

Longshot379

Plastic
Recently purchased a Bridgeport mill with a "M" head that is missing the motor and pulley. I called Hardinge and was quoted almost $1000 for the motor. Not really in my budget, but couldn't pass up a machine in very good condition otherwise for $500.

I'm going to build a adapter plate and mount a face mount motor to the original mount. Next problem is the pulley. I know I can buy a new one for $250, but I need the practice so I figured I would make my own.

Are the motor and drive pulleys the same size, just flipped over?

If not, where can I find the diameters for the motor pulley?

I won't guarantee it for the Bridgeports, but most step pulleys of this type are the same sizes but flipped over. Subject to shaft size, any needed clearances for bearings etc.

Actually, they don't. The diameters of the matching steps on each pulley need to be sized so that the belt length is the same for each speed, but the pulleys don't need to be identical. I have made a replacement set of poly-V pulleys for my Beaver VBRP to give it the same lowest speed and a higher top speed than the original V belt pulleys. This means that the two pulleys are not the same any more.

I have an extra motor pulley. Two largest grooves have some damage, but could probably be fixed easier than making from scratch. PM me if interested.

Back