What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Mill, need help in order to eventually sell it.

LuisM

Plastic
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and hope that everyone is having a great day. I will begin with “I have no knowledge about this Bridgeport Mill” so that is why I am turning to those that do like your selves.
My name is Luis and I live in Boston, I am trying to help out a friend so please keep in mind I am not the actual owner of this machine. My fiend inherited two machines, A Bridgeport Vertical Mill & a LeBlond Lathe (which will be another thread) and I have been given the task of trying to find out what the actual Bridgeport is in order to see what the value could possibly be.
Last I know the mill ran fine till the gentleman that used them passed away so I am assuming that they still function fine. I have created an album in my profile and uploaded some pictures to see if maybe I can get some help as to what this mill actually is. If more specific pictures are needed or certain measurements are needed I am more than willing and able to do so but I will need very detailed information because I do not know any thing about this particular machine or what each part is (please have patience with me and my lack of knowledge)

Eventually the owner will be looking to sell so once a reasonable amount is determined then the owner will make a decision.

Any help or advice is and will be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Luis
[email protected]

Attachments

• 1 (5).jpg
    1 (5).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 272
What you have is an old J head machine with an 8F power feed. Also has a BP vise (not that desirable.
Serial number will be at front of knee, that will let you know how old. Go here and read this, every thing you need right now.
JR

you could ask 1500 to 2000 for that machine with the accessories. Maybe list it on local craigslist. First go to your local craigslist tool section. in the search bar, enter 'milling machine'. See what is up for sale in your area and the prices.It is hard to tell the condition of the machine from the pictures. These machines vary in price by how worn they are and how many similar machines are available for sale. Here in Las Vegas, there are few machines available , so prices tend to be higher for quality machines. If you need some help determining the condition of the machine send me a private message with your contact in fo and i will give you a call to help get it sorted out.

Hi Jr. Thank you for that information, can you give me a little more specifics, you say "serial number at front of knee", where is that? and once i do get the serial number where do i go to find out more about the age of it etc...

Lectrician1, Yes after i find out more details about this mill my next step will be to look in Craigslist.

Thank you

The table is what the vice is mounted to. The knee is what the table is on. When standing in front of the machine the handle is straight in front is what moves the table front to back. Just above that handle, on the flat surface is the serial number.Looking at your picture it seems the table is far enough back to read it. On the left side of the knee there might be a pump oiler that will oil the moving parts, give that a pump before moving the handles.
Part of the value will be how much additional tooling is with it. It is very easy to have more money in tooling than the machine itself.

Part of the value will be how much additional tooling is with it. It is very easy to have more money in tooling than the machine itself.

This is very true. You probably have a bunch of smaller stuff that goes with this machine or the lathe you have that you have not yet identified. Post pics of what you have and we can tell you what it is and what it goes to, as well as an idea of value.

As to the age of the machine, it's new enough to have a one shot oiling system, and it appears to have chrome ways. Both are a plus as to value.

Just to push JR's buttons...

Thats a 6F power feed :P

Does the powerfeed run?

From what I can tell in the pictures on the album, it looks like the flaking isnt worn in the middle. So i am assuming the lube system is good and the machine hasnt been used much. I commented on one of the pics.

Can you get a video of the head running in high and low gear?

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Gentlemen, thank you for your information.
Yes there are a lot of tooling, (two machines in one room so we need to figure out is what goes to what machine)
I am going to work on getting the serial number and a video of the head in high and low gear.

Serial number is between the angled parts under the vise. If your standing in front on it, you see a shinny crank, Just above that between the angle things there maybe a flat steel plate you can push in and under there is a number. A few more pictures of the flat under and out from the angles and the top of the table that has the left to right slots and the vise is setting on would be easy for us to give you a price.

That is In The American Precision Museum in VT

Attachments

• 20161001_153743.jpg
    20161001_153743.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20161001_153735.jpg
    20161001_153735.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20161001_153836.jpg
    20161001_153836.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 70

Back