What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Mill Turned off suddenly

MSMining

Plastic
I recently bought a Bridgeport mill with a 1 hp motor. I got it all set up and was operating it for several hours, when all of a sudden, the mill simply turned off. No noises, no smells, just simply turned off as if I would have flipped the switch off.

I'm not sure if there is an auto shut off in the motor so I ensured that the oil for it was full(it only took maybe 1 oz).

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? I tried reseting the inverter and the reset button on the electrical box (see pictures).Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 7.07.59 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-09-20 at 7.07.42 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-09-20 at 7.08.06 PM.jpg

The VFD seems to be working fine still. It reads 60HZ on the display. The wire comes from the wall to the VFD then to the main electrical box. The main electrical box is still getting power and none of the fuses have any burn marks or anything so I think they are fine.

I bet the VFD (the thingy in the white box) faulted, maybe an overcurrent. What does the LED display say?

Regards.

Mike

I see a GE 300 Line motor starter in that box, the thing with the green encapsulated coil. What controls that? Check the line to line voltage on the line side (top) and also the load side (bottom).

It a pears the starter is downstream of the VFD so it is seeing the chopper wave form, I'm not sure how the overload heaters like that.

One last thought, years ago I had several 300 line coils go bad in quick succession, these were all 120/240 dual voltage coils and the problem went away when I te]laced them with 240V coils. That was 25 years ago, but who knows when this motor starter was installed.
Dennis

Back