What's new
What's new

Bridgeport milling machine VFD Installation

Bellaru433

Aluminum
Hello ... i'm not quite sure if this is the right section in regards to my question but I don't know where else to go .. I have a Bridgeport J head with a one horse power motor in my garage and all I have is single phase 220 power ,, so I bought the TECO FM50 fluxmaster VFD to convert it to three phase power ..
Can anyone please walk me through this .. I hear it's so simple to wire up but I am completely ignorant to anything electrical .. I have my power cord with four wires coming out of the motor on the machine and then the 220 single phase cord with its three wires .. I need some guidance in which designated slots I will use on the VFD ..

So not to be a wise ass, but did you buy it new? Did it come with a manual? All the ones I have bought has nice wiring diagrams . Even if you bought it used you should find a manual so you can change the accel/deceleration rates to what you want.
It’s pretty straight forward to get the power to the VFD, and get the 3 phase to the mill.
You will need to wire the start/stop switch ( I don’t recommend just using the buttons on the VFD)
Look in the manual about adding a potentiometer (variable resistor) for speed control, one of the great things about a VFD. You probably don’t have a VFD rated motor, so don’t go crazy with changing the frequency too far from 60. I had a old Rockwell mill and a southbend lathe, both from the 60s and I ran them for 20 years on VFD typically around 60hz, but frequently went from 40-80hz, your mileage may differ :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you sign up to the Bridgeport group on Groups io, basically the old Yahoo group relocated lock stock & barrel, there should be full details of motor connections and the adaptions needed to run a VFD somewhere in the files.

In principle its not difficult to sort out the wires but you have to convert the motor from star to delta connection and, on most motors, all the wires are bought out to separate connections so its easy to get muddled.

Seem to recall seeing something of that ilk back when it was still on Yahoo and I was moderator. However I'm a Brit and our electrical side is a bit different to the American one so I'm afraid I didn't pay detailed attention. If its not in the files it should be in a "conversation" (as Yahoo decided to call them) so should be searchable for. Or just ask members. Its done pretty regular.

Contact details :-
To learn more about the [email protected] group, please visit [email protected] | Home

Clive

I don’t think you have to change star/delta unless you have a different voltage drive??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back