Bridgeport Power Downfeed Question
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bridgeport Power Downfeed Question

I probably should have asked this question long ago, but about the only time I use the power-downfeed is during some boring operations.
    Is it normal operation after the power feed lever kicks out at the stop position, and downfeed stops, to have to lower the quill manually a small distance in order to be able to retract the quill? (this is rather inconvenient in certain instances).
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

as soon as mine kicks out i can just go right back up without going down at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by climb-101 View Post
    as soon as mine kicks out i can just go right back up without going down at all.
    Hmm, ok thanks. I've been suspecting mine needs a bit of work, the feedrate selector lever and such are also a bit squirreley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by car2 View Post
    I probably should have asked this question long ago, but about the only time I use the power-downfeed is during some boring operations.
    Is it normal operation after the power feed lever kicks out at the stop position, and downfeed stops, to have to lower the quill manually a small distance in order to be able to retract the quill? (this is rather inconvenient in certain instances).
    Thanks.
    No, not normal.
    The clutch drive teeth are still partially engaged and should have fully retracted at kick-out from the stop.
    Moving the quill down just a bit pushes the assembly to the left and completes the disengagement.
    Remove the cover and spray a light oil so the shaft gets some lube.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhruska View Post
    No, not normal.
    The clutch drive teeth are still partially engaged and should have fully retracted at kick-out from the stop.
    Moving the quill down just a bit pushes the assembly to the left and completes the disengagement.
    Remove the cover and spray a light oil so the shaft gets some lube.
    John
    Thank you John. I'll open it up and take a look, been procrastinating for 6 years since I only use (and cuss) the power downfeed periodically. I think there may be something else loose or damaged in there, the feedrate selector lever is a bit loose and difficult to engage. Thanks,Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Charles,
    Feed rate is easier to select if the right side feed engagement is engaged and the spindle is turning.
    The feed selector is just a dog on the inside that slides spur gears back and forth.
    Select a feed rate, remove the cover, note the position-engagement, squirt some lube or light grease.
    Really nothing to fix in there unless Mr. Ham Hands was in there.

The downfeed clutch pressure is factory set. It can be adjusted but never needs it unless some p.o.
    was in there.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhruska View Post
    Hey Charles,
    Feed rate is easier to select if the right side feed engagement is engaged and the spindle is turning.
    The feed selector is just a dog on the inside that slides spur gears back and forth.
    Select a feed rate, remove the cover, note the position-engagement, squirt some lube or light grease.
    Really nothing to fix in there unless Mr. Ham Hands was in there.

The downfeed clutch pressure is factory set. It can be adjusted but never needs it unless some p.o.
    was in there.
    John
    Hi John, Thank you again for your time and help, and the tips. I haven't ever paid much attention, taken it apart, or taken the effort to look at the drawings. I have not been changing the feed rate selector while running (thanks). I'll take a look at it in a day or two and report back. Thanks again! Charles

8. Likes climb-101, just4grins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, Thanks again for the tips that worked. Removed the kickout cover and squirted some oil all in there, and removed the speed selector lever cover (gears looked fine) and lubed that up, fixed the knackered loose-fitting roll-pin on the handle (one thing is that selector-lever knob is somewhat too long so it torques the eccentric causing friction, so grabbing in near the housing also helps, as well as having the machine running as you advised (that selector-plate mechanism ain't no precision mechanism). Thanks again for your time and help, Cheers Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya Hoo........good to hear the patient has recovered!