What's new
What's new

Bridgeport power feed for knee

santal8

Plastic
I am interested in installing a power feed on the knee of my Bridgeport mill. I have seen examples of this on Ebay and in this forum. My questions are: 1. Is a Servo brand actuall the best? 2. Will a 150 model work? 3. Where do I buy the the large aluminum handwheel to replace the crank for fine knee positioning? Thanks to all for any help you can give? Mark

2. Type 150 from Servo I believe isnt designed for knee, as it has "smart" electronics, adds more torque as it gets more load.

3. From my experience, when you buy kit from Servo, it comes with nice handwheel.

1. Believed to be the best, and I would probably agree on that.

I'm not aware of any kits that include a handwheel to replace the crank. I purchased a handwheel from Gizzly and had to bore it out and machine the splines to match the shaft. Worked real well.

Thanks for the feedback all! I tried using the cordless drill technique and I burned up an otherwise good Dewalt cordless drill. I figure it would only take a short while to burn through enough cordless drills to pay for even an import knee feed. I see on Ebay the clutch drive units being sold for use in a cordless drill and for the life of me, I can't see how that is a long term solution.....Mark

If you can't raise the knee of your mill with a 1/2" cordless drill, you have some other issues. It should not take that much torque to lift the knee. The gibs might be too tight, chips wedged in behind, not getting oil, or something else.
JR

type 140

I adapted a type 140 table feed to my knee but I counterbalanced the knee.
IIRC the difference between 140s & 150s is the variable speed range span and the 150 having a full wave control, whatever that means. There might be a couple of other differences aswell.

The purpose-built Servo knee lift (feed) is by far the best way to go but holy crap are they pricey new. Ragpickers such as myself always try to curcumvent to the low-cost option. There are pics of my counterbalance setup in the "shop pics" section.

I could not find the pictures of the counterbalanced Bridgeport knee you were talking about....could you please help me find them...I am interested in what you have done, Thanks, Mark

I could not find the pictures of the counterbalanced Bridgeport knee you were talking about....could you please help me find them...I am interested in what you have done, Thanks, Mark

Yeah, I see my shop pics and story are no longer there.
Crap, I think I just deleted those from my pc last night.
Well, you need to see it, it's one of my crowning achievements.

Too many people, with what seems to be a lot of time to waste on trying to reinvent the "wheel" .

Servo is the best brand out there by far, I have sold and installed just as many Servo's as I have "off brand" (coppies of the servo) and have great luck with both.

An off brand unit on the knee will work just fine, what you need to keep in mind and really think about is, how many times a day are you going to be using the knee feed. I'm willing to bet its not going to be used any wheres near as much as your X or Y axis power feed would be, if you have them.

9 times out of 10 the power feed, wether it be a Servo or an off brand, stop working due to operator error i.e. crash, too much weight on table, and so on.

If you want give me a call, I can get you good pricing on either a Servo or an off brand, and can also walk you through the installation, which is not hard at all.

Thanks,
Greg Hissong
North American Machine Repair & Supply
(586) 530-4686

I use my knee feed constantly. IMO it's insane not to have one. Ten turns to go 1 inch? That's crazy. I'm going up and down constantly changing from short tools directly in the collet to R8-MT2 & MT3 drill drivers and R8 EM holders, tapping head, boring head, drill chucks, my God, everything. The knee feed (lift) is a sanity-saver. I probably use the knee feed 5 times more than the table feed.

I have a 6" diameter handwheel on it now but I don't like it. I was using the oem crank handle with a soft spring kickout, I'm going back to that because it's much easier for hitting the last few thousandths accurately.

A little late to the party, but after years of hand cranking that blasted knee, I finally made an adapter to use a Milwaukee Hole Hawg as the power source. I don't think it will fail.
The mill I've been using at home is a Do-All knee mill (Bridgeport clone from Taiwan) The Milwaukee I picked up a few years ago and it's been sitting on a shelf, waiting for some task to perform...well, here it is !

After studying the situation, I determined that there really wasn't a need for 9 notches in the adapter; just need 3 pins at 120º; 3/16 Dowel pins fit nicely in the slots on the sleeve of the Z axis of the mill. BTW, the Z-axis shaft on the Do-All is 16mm. not 5/8"
The pins are on a .65625R
The end that fits the Milwaukee was bored for a slip fit and keyed @ 5/16". The stock 1/4-20 LH shcs holds the adapter on.
If anyone wants a drawing, let me know.....just have to finish it up.
It works really well and the low-speed seems to be ideal.

Knee Lift_1.jpg Knee Lift_2.jpg Knee Lift_3.jpg Knee Lift_4.jpg Milwaukee Hole Hawg.jpg

In action.....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IrsqvY7MvYWyBmTO1savG-FbroNoESDB

I plan on installing some limit switch stops with a plug-in that will cut the power to the drill. That will be much better than "hard stops". As they won't be hard-wired into the drill, they will swing out of the way to allow reversing the direction.

You can find used Milwaukee Hole Hawgs on eBay occasionally.
Menards also has 5/8" corded drills which should have plenty of power too;
Performax® Corded 5/8" Spade Handle Drill - 7 Amp
Model Number: 2410956 Menards® SKU: 2410956

A little late to the party, but after years of hand cranking that blasted knee, I finally made an adapter to use a Milwaukee Hole Hawg as the power source. I don't think it will fail.
The mill I've been using at home is a Do-All knee mill (Bridgeport clone from Taiwan) The Milwaukee I picked up a few years ago and it's been sitting on a shelf, waiting for some task to perform...well, here it is !

After studying the situation, I determined that there really wasn't a need for 9 notches in the adapter; just need 3 pins at 120º; 3/16 Dowel pins fit nicely in the slots on the sleeve of the Z axis of the mill. BTW, the Z-axis shaft on the Do-All is 16mm. not 5/8"
The pins are on a .65625R
The end that fits the Milwaukee was bored for a slip fit and keyed @ 5/16". The stock 1/4-20 LH shcs holds the adapter on.
If anyone wants a drawing, let me know.....just have to finish it up.
It works really well and the low-speed seems to be ideal.

View attachment 268756 View attachment 268757 View attachment 268758 View attachment 268759 View attachment 268760

In action.....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IrsqvY7MvYWyBmTO1savG-FbroNoESDB

I plan on installing some limit switch stops with a plug-in that will cut the power to the drill. That will be much better than "hard stops". As they won't be hard-wired into the drill, they will swing out of the way to allow reversing the direction.

You can find used Milwaukee Hole Hawgs on eBay occasionally.
Menards also has 5/8" corded drills which should have plenty of power too;
Performax® Corded 5/8" Spade Handle Drill - 7 Amp
Model Number: 2410956 Menards® SKU: 2410956

Very nice!!

Back