What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Quill Feed Handle

paulsomlo

Stainless
Can anyone tell me how the engagement pin is supposed to be retained in the handle? The handle has a blind hole that's about 0.190 diameter.

Webp.net-compress-image (5).jpgWebp.net-compress-image (6).jpg

That hole on the end of the handle should be a through hole. The housing has a through hole on the back that the pin goes through to capture that end of the handle. The blind hole is just to catch the spring detent inside the housing. Here's a pic of mine with a machine screw replacing the missing pin, which is how it came to me, but hopefully helps illustrate.
2021-10-24 11.26.34.jpg

ETA: After looking a little more closely at my and your pics. Let me add some clarification and I think you might be missing some parts.
That pin in the pic is what I believe engages the ring on the quill housing. So that goes in that hole seen on your second pic, which will end up pointing at the quill housing. The blind hole in the handle is where the end of that pin sits. Then what I think is a roll pin goes through the hole in the back and on the end of your pin, where my machine screw is. Then there should be a spring that sits above the lever and under the top plate. So I think you're missing that roll pin and the spring. I'm also not sure if that engagement pin is supposed to actually attach to the lever or if it just floats in there.

If it's still unclear I can take mine apart and get some better pics, I wasn't able to find an exploded diagram of this part.

So I think you're missing that roll pin and the spring. I'm also not sure if that engagement pin is supposed to actually attach to the lever or if it just floats in there.

If it's still unclear I can take mine apart and get some better pics, I wasn't able to find an exploded diagram of this part.

Nope - I've got the roll pin (it's actually a dowel pin) and the spring. My question is how does the engagement pin attach to the blind hole in the lever? There has to be some sort of retention, otherwise the pin can't disengage.

Nope - I've got the roll pin (it's actually a dowel pin) and the spring. My question is how does the engagement pin attach to the blind hole in the lever? There has to be some sort of retention, otherwise the pin can't disengage.

Ok, sorry, understand now. So that's the engagement pin in your photo, right? Looks like it might be broken. Took my handle apart and the engagement pin has a ball end that's staked into that blind hole. Had a lot of trouble getting a decent pic, so hopefully this is enough for you to see it. Though I think there are multiple versions of these handles, so maybe we just have different configurations.
2021-10-24 17.51.29.jpg

Thank you for the disassembly and the photo - that makes perfect sense. The pin in my picture must not be original. I'm guessing that ball end gets staked just like the detent ball in a ratchet's drive square, allowing it to pivot. I believe you've solved the mystery - again, thanks!

Back