What's new
What's new

Bridgeport replacement head

Bwana Don

Plastic
Hi All

I need to rebuild the head on one of my Bridgeport manual mills, spindle looks shot and it's just tired. It's more than a replacement head from Acer or Wells Index (McClaren). Any one have any experience with either of these heads? Is one better than the other?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks
BD

Hi All

I need to rebuild the head on one of my Bridgeport manual mills, spindle looks shot and it's just tired. It's more than a replacement head from Acer or Wells Index (McClaren). Any one have any experience with either of these heads? Is one better than the other?

Thanks
BD

Head is tired, spindle is shot... and the knee and all the rest are like new? And it was only a BirdPort to begin with?

Seems to me a whole better-condition mill, if not also a more RUGGED/larger mill, and with all the bits from the same maker and still supported BY the OEM..would be the WISER deal.

Even if not the cheapest.. THIS month, it will prolly turn out to be "real soon, now" vs a Frenkenmill - alien head on BirdPort corpse.

Pretty sure there are a few of us rebuilders in here, but I am confused... you talk about needing a head rebuilt then go into some other brands for heads.

Here is what we do for a head rebuild and right now we have about a 2 to 3 week lead time. We also offer parts if you wanna do the rebuild yourself.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Sorry for the confusion. I was looking to rebuild the head but the quote I got from a local guy in Metro Detroit was 5k. He suggested an Acer head, which is about $3500. This is why I started looking at new replacement heads.

Hi All

Thanks
BD

PM sent....

Kevin

We have one of your rebuilt heads (H & W). Worked out nice. The lead time right now would hurt us, this is why I'm looking at a new head.

Lead time "exists" for anything you do at all.

If the H&W "worked out nice" and the price is less than any other option you've quoted so-far?

I would drop a USED but decent Bee-Pee head on, make do whilst the apparently worsely trashed OEM was rebuilt. Then - condition depending - mebbe send the used one off for rebuild, too - so I had a spare, right under me own roof, most especially if you run more than one BirdPort - and was never again "stuck".

If I was careless enough to have a business at risk over a wore-out BirdPort to begin with.

Stouter mills are plentiful. There are reasons for that.

If you are tearing-up a BirdPort that badly - they are light, but not junque - you have mebbe been asking too much of it for too long?

Heavier-built mill - all-over, not JUST the head - might last a Helluva lot longer and make it easier to do good work faster as well?

We would need some more information about what you have as far as your head, but could get a trade-in head ready by the middle to end of next week.

Cost will also depend on the head and stuff.

Feel free to call Barry to talk to him about it.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

@cyanide :D

Back