What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Right Angle Head #3 Cracked

restore49

Aluminum
Suggestions please on repair? Thinking machine a mandrill size of Quill ( or should I go .001 over?)add shim to slot .0875 clamp prepare and weld - V Utechnic Cast Rod) Head was given to me. ? Bob

Bridgeport RA Head  #3.jpg

Thanks - will machine tube to 3.755 .005 over size of quill. At first was thinking forgot to back off jack screw but that doesn't add up - maybe a heavy crash - dropped?? Bob

IMO, things like that are trivially easy to break if you tighten the screws with nothing inside, or attempt to put it on something undersized. Not sure how good a weld will be as full penetration is impossible. OTOH, the weld will be on the outside where the strength is needed. Weld from inside too? Not a welder and not at all a welder of cast iron, so I don't know what's possible.

Finished - had to make 3 weld grind steps to get a good weld even having preheated - Used Eutectic Xyron 244 always had amazing luck with dirty base material - 40 years of contamination - if I could Braze that may been another way. Tightened on Quill great. What I learned___ Should have clamped the piece tighter it shrank and pulled away a tad , can see gap in top left corner of picture. May use epoxy to fill while clamped??? BobBridgeport Welded.jpgBridgeport after grinding.jpg

Thanks - Adjusted the Spindle Lock Nut - Moves the gear and bearing(ground spacer and lock ring capture bearing)inbound to get a good gear backlash. Was the spacer factory ground to give both good backlash and bearing preload when all was new?? Did not feel like I had any bearing preload when backlash was correct - was thinking of adding shims under spacer to adjust bearing load. BobBridgeport RA Head.jpg

Back