What's new
What's new

Bridgeport riser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever heard of using a Bridgeport mill riser on a Wells index 847 mill? They are both 15" diam. and I've taken rough measurements on bolt holes ...seem to be the same...don't know about hidden surface profiles though....new Wells risers are over $1000....I can get a used BP for $250.....so, any advise?

Bolt holes don't mean anything, BP uses a spider to hold the turret to the base. I would assume that Wells does somthing similar so that they can rotate the turret.

Do you own a lathe? Why do you need a riser?
BTW, your thread title sucks. Please read the rules before posting again.
JR

Why do you need a riser?
JR

From experience. The ideal table height is when it is the most comfortable when inspecting or fastening work. Bending knees or straining to a higher position is no good. The average height of the most common things you work on. That position would be the most used height of the table. Then that is my reference. I don't have a riser but think about one when I use a drill chuck with a large/long drill.

If the BP without a riser can't handle a work piece work, I think a riser is pushing the limits.

7' height - you need a riser.
6' height - start thinking about a riser.
< 6' height - no need.

Last edited:
Just asked a simple question....and I got..."don't you have a lathe," "you don't need it", your post doesnt meet some arbitrary specification "it sucks" ( very immature comment)....
All without even knowing what I use the mill for.... Not very friendly...

I guess young people don't have maners and common courtesy anymore.

I guess young people don't have maners and common courtesy anymore.

And I'm guessing that you must be one of them.

If you would have read and follow the rules as to post titles, you would not have gotten a comment. I thought that I was being nice as to pointing this out rather than locking the thread as Milacron would have done.

I asked if you have a lathe so I knew if you could modify a BP riser if needed. I thought that made perfect sense.
I asked why you needed a riser just in case there are other work-arounds that could have been done.

Then, you sir are the one that called me "hatefu" and "stressed out". So, for bad-mouthing somebody that has actually tried to help you out, why don't you give me some reasons why I shouldn't lock this thread and report you to Don? I really don't care.
JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back