bridgeport rolling frames
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default bridgeport rolling frames

has anyone built a rolling frame for there bridgeport that also has 4 screws to level once it's found a home . pics would be awesome .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had mine in a dolly that I made for 2 years, It is bolted to the dolly on all 4 corners and I have made 1/2" NFT Grade 8 Levelers for it in the front. I have also made a very similar one for my South Bend 16" Lathe. So far I have had no issues what so ever. I have used the Bridgeport quite a bit and some pretty heavy hogging. As far as the South Bend, I just finished rebuilding it and have not done any heavy cutting on it yet...we will see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-11-25_20-31-15_380.jpg   2011-11-25_20-32-11_331.jpg   2011-11-25_20-33-08_352.jpg   2012-06-18_05-51-29_421.jpg   2012-06-18_05-52-44_830.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a few of the South Bend also....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20130506_192408_793.jpg   img_20130611_144310_801.jpg   img_20130808_181512_934.jpg   img_20130808_181203_155.jpg   img_20130901_123012_019.jpg  

4. Likes michael.kitko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I built a hydraulically actuated wheeled base for my BP a couple years ago. Was a fun project and works quite well.

img_1621.jpg

More photos on my Picasa web album: https://picasaweb.google.com/1153788...eat=directlink

Craig

6. Likes Mark Leigh, sfriedberg, mbraddock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine was designed to result in the mill being 4" off the floor - I'm tall, and I was tired of bending over. There are two sections of 4x2 tubing running along the side of the mill, with a 3" ball-bearing caster with steel wheels at each end. Under the front edge and the rear edge of the mill, there are sections of 2x6" tubing that are welded to the bottom of the 4x2 tubing. The 2x6 tubing has holes in the top for the Bridgeport base bolts, and tapped 5/8-11 threads on the bottom for leveling pads. The height increase is from the height of the casters since the mill is virtually supported from the top of the casters.

My plan was not to leave the mill free to move in use, but to use the casters to maneuver it into place, then drop down the leveling pads. The only problem I've run into is the casters can sometimes face backwards when I'm moving the mill, which can make the mill difficult to steer. A chunk of 1x4 plank as a prybar tells it which direction I want to go when that happens. I had thought about using swivel & non-swivel casters, but I sometimes need to go both forward and sideways.

If I had the physical room, I would have preferred to use a welded base sized for a pallet jack, but I don't have room to store a pallet jack (unless I get rid of the forklift....).

Avrgjoe looks to have a good plan of attack with an automotive service jack on the front.

Photos later if I remember to take some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

last picture at the bottom. Screws are hard to see but are on each side of the base. I can install or remove this in 10 minutes with only a crowbar and 12) 4" x 4" pieces of 3/4" plywood, but its not fun. I prefer a pair of 4x4s and a pallet jack.
    Bridgeport J head step pulley disassembly and reassembly

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what weight range are the wheels and casters did you use for your stands and thanks for all the replies

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IIRC I used a couple of 1000# cast iron wheels with urethane tires on each side, I don't know the ratings on the single rear castering wheel it's plenty strong enough for my weight distribution. Most my weight is on the two side wheels I only have 300 to 400 lbs on the rear wheel. With my hydraulic system the wheels are only under load when you are moving the mill, when not in use the hydraulic force is released and the base sits on the leveling pads. Since my wheels are not normally under load they don't take on a flat spot.
    I think these were the side wheels: Caster City - Casters - 5" x 2" Crown Tread Polyurethane Wheel on Iron Center
    The urethane tire durometer is a little soft so it takes more effort to push the mill than it should.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 777mechanic View Post
    what weight range are the wheels and casters did you use for your stands and thanks for all the replies

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had very bad luck with urethane wheels. For some reason they all harden and crumble in my shop. Lot of stuff riding on the rims of what remains now. Now I buy steel or phenolic, much easier to push as well

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Avrgjoe View Post
    I have had mine in a dolly that I made for 2 years, It is bolted to the dolly on all 4 corners and I have made 1/2" NFT Grade 8 Levelers for it in the front. I have also made a very similar one for my South Bend 16" Lathe. So far I have had no issues what so ever. I have used the Bridgeport quite a bit and some pretty heavy hogging. As far as the South Bend, I just finished rebuilding it and have not done any heavy cutting on it yet...we will see.
    I am looking for something very similar to what you built. Can I ask, what size are those steel pieces on both the lathe and the mill. I would appreciate the reply.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best would be to send a PM to the party instead of hijacking a 3 year old thread.

IIRC, Avrgjoe is on the gunsmith forum. Send a PM.
    JR

14. Likes michael.kitko liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are some:

wheeled-base.jpg
    rolling-frame-8.jpg