What's new
What's new

Bridgeport saddle x axis central relief- step down reference

Seanp88

Plastic
Hey everyone happy new year,

So I just finished scraping in the saddle of a new to me Bridgeport series 1 9x42. I haven't even used it but decided to do it right and renew the thing since it was full of grease and had been worn pretty good. Anyway. I started with finding a good reference, which turned out to be the x axis in the middle where all Bridgeport that I know of, have an area about 5 or 6 inches long that's scraped but sits lower than the outside 2 sections of each way. I scraped the y axis first then went to the ax axis. The left front gib side way outermost corner had the most wear and I made this my zero datum. I took about .0065 off the rest to scrape true to the y axis. Doing this made me cut into the reference I used in the middle of the X axis. Thinking more about it, I'd like to have your opinions on this area. My thoughts are that they relieved this area for 2 reasons, possibly 3. (1) The first and main reason is to eliminate a central rocking point once wear begins to develope. (2) to use as a reference for future measurements. (3) for lubrication to hang around along with swarf (ahhh).. Anyway.. I feel like I should make this area shorter in length, on the gib side at least, to increase surface area to in part reduce wear on that tiny little bit of way that's left over and always wears down first. I almost feel like it needs to be there to remove any sort of rocking that could occur with a high point, although the gibs should be tight enough to eliminate this I would think.. do I even need to do this? I know my scraping is on point so I have full contact across the entire surfaces. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone have a happy, safe, and successful new year!
Here's a picture to show the area I'm talking about. It's just freehand sharpied.
IMG-20220102-220222665-HDR — ImgBB

You might get an answer quicker by dropping this post in the PM Machine Reconditioning and Scraping section. There are some highly knowledgeable and skilled folks who talk in there that might offer good guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those relieved areas such as on top of the knee dovetail was so they could make the dovetails the same height on the twin spindle dovetail grinders they used. Each spindle had it's own adjustment. They used a gauge with dial indicators that they could quickly place on the relieved area. When not in use it sat on a master gauge.
That relieved area was the very first thing that was ground.
The relieved area on top of the saddle was to keep the table from rocking as it wore down.

MrBridgeport

Back