Bridgeport Series 1 CNC Upgrade Layout
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bridgeport Series 1 CNC Upgrade Layout

Preliminary Layout for the CNC upgrade. All demolition is completed. I cut out 2 large panels from the original steel backing and attached a 3/16 aluminum plate on 1" spacers to allow better cooling properties. 30 amp breaker for power inlet (on/off) to a line filter branch 220 to the ABB VFD (the break resistor will be mounted in a modified Bridgeport heat sink out side the box)48 vdc power source from a 110 leg, additionally there is a 5 vdc source fuse panel, e-stop solenoid, and solenoids for the fans, and home/limit switches. a couple gang bars. Additionally (not pictured) on the operators side there is a breaker panel (marine) with volt meter 30 amp gang and 4 15 amp breakers for the coolant, oiler and to power the dc power supplies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top-view.jpg   profile.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_20210626_143724.jpg Wiring up the panel now

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bridgeport Series 1 Upgrade Progress

img_20210703_123417.jpg]img_20210703_123357.jpgimg_20210703_123449.jpgimg_20210703_123519.jpgOkay new pictures, wiring going well, i milled out one of the old BP heat sinks to accept the brake resistor (radiator) and mounted it outside to keep the heat out of the enclosure

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_20210706_185554.jpgimg_20210706_185643.jpgI mounted the main board in the enclosure and added a CB panel to control the sub systems ie., cooling fans, PC, oiler, and mister. More wiring to go

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Murphy View Post
    img_20210706_185554.jpgimg_20210706_185643.jpgI mounted the main board in the enclosure and added a CB panel to control the sub systems ie., cooling fans, PC, oiler, and mister. More wiring to go
    Is your estop a suggestion to the controller to stop when it feels like it? Proper estops are normally (for small machines) contactors near the motor drives, and a signal to tell the controller an estop happened after the fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The plan is for the e-stop relay(s) to be wired in for each motor, spindle, x,y, and z axis. I have the relays on 35mm DIN track and utilizing the OEM switch as well as through the BOB

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

5vdc for limit switches sounds kinda weak in my opine. all signal voltage in my experience, and they have been very nerve wracking in the past, should be 24VDC and differential signal if possible. definitely differential signal for small items like encoders that only allow 5VDC signal and then add on plenty of insulation, shielding and star grounding. Short of that phantom signals will be driving you nuts. and E stop should also include a E stop button that cuts off all operating power to servo drivers and VFD ( VFD's unlike servo drivers have only power going in and out). Logic power should stay on while in e stop, but again most VFD's don't have that option ( sucks). I have also had good experience using line conditioning UPS for computer and BOB. Nothing like having power surge, blackout or brownout and cnc computer is on long enough to know where in program it all stopped and let you carry on from there. 48VDC you going stepper? Are you retrofitting that series II you have in the last pic, if so please use servos. can't tell from pic if you are keeping signal wires and power wires perpendicular or far away from each other, but that is a must.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a few observations

knife switch disconnect on transformer cabinet is removed--factory configuration incorporated mechanical interlock--
    if you have employees operating machine the door mounted circuit breaker hardware is unlikely to meet code-
    any incident involving mill + worker could expose you to unlimited liability--

if you hold level III industrial electrician certification--MEM 31215--please forgive my lesser observations--

my day job is forensic medicine with avocation of machine retrofits--I have owned 30+ BP mills, mostly boss 3-6

if I sell a machine today it is always classified as parts or non-operational--removing fuses is a non-destructive method

NFPA section 79 addresses electrical configuration of industrial machinery--year 2021

here is a link to no cost review of NFPA-NEC section 79 code requirements

your work appears tidy and organized--a plus when reviewed by inspectors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nfpa.jpg