What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Series 1 Variable speed head Brake bearing cap question

JBarnicle

Plastic
Good afternoon.
I am new here, and have found myself looking for an answer. I have fully rebuilt several Series 1 BP variable speed head machines and have had fantastic outcomes. Currently I am working on a machine for myself and wondering if anybody might have a good answer.
While replacing the Bearing in the Brake Bearing Cap, the old bearing came out much easier then I have ever experienced. Simply pushed all the way out with my fingers.
I clean up the brake bearing cap good, notice nothing out of the ordinary. No minor cracks, no heat marks or anything that looks suspicious. I check the roundness of the brake bearing cap, also fine.
My new bearing also just slides right in. Should be a press fit.
I do not want to put this all back together and then decide......I should have replaced that brake bearing cap.

Before I do replace that brake bearing cap, has anybody else had this issue, without visibly being able to spot or see any cracks or anything that would lead to this diameter being slightly big?

Thanks Jason

Thank you sir.
Yeah, this one currently is way less than a tap fit. so i am going to purchase a new brake bearing cap. This bearing kinda shows some signs of the outter race rotating while it should be stationary inside that brake bearing plate. so i have new bearings, i am going to see what a new brake bearing cap feels like and i guess that will give me some future knowledge. All of them that i have worked on in the past have always seemed to be a tap fit. just a bit snug. This one, for sure is not any kind of a fit now besides sloppy.

The bearing outer race is a few thousands of an inch proud of the cap. Tightening the two screws locks the bearing in place. I've probably rebuilt 500 of those heads, not uncommon.

Mr Bridgeport

Back