What's new
What's new

Bridgeport series I mill verse south bend mill

Darryl79

Plastic
Hello I am new to marching and already have a BP series l mill and new I have a opportunity to get a old south bend mill that has had little use and was wondering how the south bend compares to the BP mill or if it even does and is worth getting or am I just wasting my time
And info or insight would be greatly appreciated

IIRC, bridgeport had higher spindle speeds? Other than that I'm not sure in the differences aside from one VERY large one.. parts availability. You're probably not going to find parts for the SB mill very easily if at all. In my opinion there more of a novelty machine that are sought after by SBL owners that want to add to their collection. For a hobbyist or someone just doing light milling work, they're likely similar in all of the important aspects. If you aren't a major South Bend fan, I'd probably pass on it just for the fact that if you break something, you're likely screwed.

If your BP is nearing the end of its useful years, I wouldn't pass up on the south bend if the price is good and the wear is minimal. Got pictures? There's another south bend mill on bidspotter right now, I'm pretty sure it's in Connecticut? could be wrong.

I am new to marching
remember to roll your heel so your steps seem more fluid! ;)

remember to roll your heel so your steps seem more fluid! ;)

Even to this day when I march, I can hear Drill Instructor Sgt Frick screaming at us for not driving our heels into the pavement. He always said you should hear a platoon coming up the road. lol

+1 about the parts availability and to questioning the reason for a second mill. Just to have it? Not making good parts on your BP? But perhaps that money getting spent on the SB might be better suited in upkeep on the Bridgeport?

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

I might be wrong, but I believe there are a few models of South Bend mills, with the oldest being round-ram type and some of the latest having feeds at least on one of the axis.

Pictures and specs of the one you're looking at would help.

As pointed out by others, it is important to analyze why you would buy it. Likely, you have already done this exercise. However, if you share your reasoning with us, we can be of more help focusing on certain aspects.

Paolo

Back