What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Series II head interchangeable???

jackalope

Titanium
I am taking ownership of a standard Series II with 4hp 4j head. I have other regular J heads in good condition and want to swap one on this machine so as to have the Series II special-like function. My question is this: can a standard J head be bolted straight to the Series II ram? Please note that there ARE differences in rams between Series II and Series II Special. I just don’t know what those differences are without the machine in front of me. I only see the differences in side by side comparisons.

An easier way to look at this is to ask, can a 4J head be mounted to a standard series I Bridgeport?

Thanks for any insight here. I’m not interested in anything other than answers to the above. Thanks

I am taking ownership of a standard Series II with 4hp 4j head. I have other regular J heads in good condition and want to swap one on this machine so as to have the Series II special-like function. My question is this: can a standard J head be bolted straight to the Series II ram? Please note that there ARE differences in rams between Series II and Series II Special. I just don’t know what those differences are without the machine in front of me. I only see the differences in side by side comparisons.

An easier way to look at this is to ask, can a 4J head be mounted to a standard series I Bridgeport?

Thanks for any insight here. I’m not interested in anything other than answers to the above. Thanks

If the back of your ram is not machined for the knuckle to mount a 2J head, then the answer would be, no?

Kevin

Once you pick the machine up you will understand. The Series II head is over twice the size of the 2J head. I think to make a S II Special, Bridgeport made a special casting for the top of the base that took a standard Series I ram. The ram and head on a S II Special are standard Series I. The Series II Special didn't have the much nicer power feed set-up that the Series II used. The Special just used the standard S I powerfeed on the table, no power feed on knee or saddle.

Bridgeport now lists a Series II, but it is the old Series II Special renamed. There is no true Series II made.

While I would like a chance at your old Series II head, I have to ask why you think you want to convert it to a Series II Special? The Series II is superior in about every way. Use it for a while first and you will never switch to the 2J head.

Thanks fellas! That is what I thought was the case. As for the WHY, comes down to tooling and light machining with larger capacity (part size). I do intend to use it for awhile but plan to swap it out. I do have some 40 taper tooling but nothing on the order of my standard VS Bp.
The likelihood of coming across the S2S ram will be rather unlikely and all but impossible. I have no problem making an adapter either but wanted to confirm what I suspected and you all validated.
I supposed it can’t hurt to post a wanted add NOW instead of waiting to find the correct ram. 😜

Last edited:
Thanks fellas! That is what I thought was the case. As for the WHY, comes down to tooling and light machining with larger capacity (part size). I do intend to use it for awhile but plan to swap it out. I do have some 40 taper tooling but nothing on the order of my standard VS Bp.
The likelihood of coming across the S2S ram will be rather unlikely and all but impossible. I have no problem making an adapter either but wanted to confirm what I suspected and you all validated.
I supposed it can’t hurt to post a wanted add NOW instead of waiting to find the correct ram. ��

If your lucky, the ram will be machined for the knuckle to mount a 2J head, then you just have to rotate the turret to use the head of your choice!

Something to consider on the 4J machines, make sure the power feeds work, it gets expensive to repair if you need to find parts.....

Kevin

Kevin, I appreciate that. Unfortunately the head doesn’t have that elusive ram. I’ve only seen one that you speak of and it is on eBay with a shaper head on it. Sigh….

Kevin, I appreciate that. Unfortunately the head doesn’t have that elusive ram. I’ve only seen one that you speak of and it is on eBay with a shaper head on it. Sigh….

You may want to expand your search for the 4J ram that is machined for the 2J knuckle, probably easier to find than the series 2 special?

Kevin

The first time you power feed a 1" drill with the 4J you will want to throw rocks at your 2J head.

Another option, probably the cheapest, find a series II true trace with the t-ram?

With the t-ram you would be able to mount both heads……you would lose the nod function if that matters?

Kevin

Kevin, I actually bought two mills at the same time. One is the regular series II and the other was a tracer mill with the t ram. ��

Is the tracer mill also a series II, if so you just need the adapter for the 2J head?

I have an adapter I can take a picture of if you need it?

Kevin

No. Series I tracer. It looks like I’ll be making an adapter. I believe I can make an adapter that goes between the knuckle and standard J head to adapt to series II ram. I “think” that may work. I haven’t had a J head broken down in a very long time to know if it will work and also need to have the S2 knuckle exposed at the same time.
I’ve looked all over and haven’t seen much. I do appreciate your help.

We have a Series II with the 4J head at work. There is nothing in common with a Series I. The Ram dovetail column mount diameter is larger than the Series I. We do also have a “hybrid” Series II Special that has a Series II column and box ways but has a Series I 2J head. The column dovetail mount uses the 2J ram but fits the Series II base. If you are lucky you might be able to come across that Ram mount so you can 2J a Series II base. I can take pics tomorrow Monday Jan 3 if you need visual aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea. I use the Series II with the 4J head often. Just a pleasure to use and ridged- well as ridged as a BP can be anyway. Ours has the Kwik Switch quill which is superior to the R8 but not as universal as the 40.

Because I want to. I have piles of tooling and don’t hog anything. I know some of you struggle to answer the questions being asked and have to interject your own dialogue which PM has always been known for, but try and stick to the question posed. If you have to once again inject personal opinion, it will be reflective of your inability to actually provide knowledgeable information to the questions I posed.
To those that have offered USEFUL information, I appreciate it.
As of yesterday I was able to see the machines side by side. Yes, I knew there were differences but there was nothing anything with measurements to know until I could see them.
The only solution I am seeing is a S2S ram/turret swap OR for me to machine an adapter for the 2J head mount to larger S2 swivel/knuckle.

c899abede7dbccd45ffa1e0fff6f12f5.jpg

Here is the Series II Special we have here at work. The column base is slightly shorter than the full size Series II we have with the 4J head. If you can find one of those Series II Special Ram head mounts you would be good to go with the 2J.

Back