What's new
What's new

bridgeport series II power feed help needed

250racer

Plastic
I recently bought a Bridgeport series II 4hp mill (not a series II special) that was stripped of all its power feed components. I only need power feed in the x axis so I purchased a servo brand power feed kit m-9114-150. this kit as I have recently found out is meant to replace the factory 6f power feed unit. The problem I have is as far as I know the regular Bridgeport series II mill never came with a 6f style power feed and the adaptor plate is no where near close to fitting. Has anyone ever ran into this sort of problem before? or have any other suggestions on a power feed setup?

AFAIK, Servo never made anything for the Series II except for a Z feed for the knee. That's why your machine has been stripped, the feed parts are hard to come by. That 150 feed will not work for the X. If you can return it. Only the Series II Special was available with electronic feed and that was an 8F. All the standard Series II machines had a feed unit that hung from the right side of the saddle with a shaft that passed through the saddle.
JR

My series 2 standard has dc feed motors, 1 for x and y , drives both with a feed rod, and a separate motor for the z. Can't feed the z and x/y under power at the same time. Mine has been reasonably reliable but I have blown up the dc drive and rebuilt motors over the 15 years I have owned it, running 40-60 hours a week most of that time.

The servo independent drives are not even close.... but you may try HQT or Hardinge.

Here's what they are supposed to look like:

used-11-x-58-bridgeport-series-ii-vertical-mill-4-hp-pwr-quill-3500-rpm-cnc-vertical-milling-machine-p11204077_2.jpg

I talked to servo and they said they don't make a kit that fits the 4hp machines just the specials . All I will be using the mill for is flycutting engine blocks and heads so if I were to make a 150 axis motor work would it be sufficient to run the x back and forth as I will only be taking a few thousanths at a time?

Look up the Lyman MK-7 power feed.

It is a dirt simple design, that could be scaled up for the Series II.

It uses a right angle 90 V DC 1/2 hp gearmotor, with a gear that replaces LH X axis hand crank...

If scaling up I would ditch the DC, go with a 3 phase angle gearmotor, say ~1 hp, and use a VFD. A surplus gearmotor unit, is what I would search for.. $$$$$ new...

The low speed torque, and power is lacking with the little DC motor on a standard BP.. Not a low enough gear reduction ratio for low speed, and the gear reduction limits rapids...

The old saying; "a picture is worth 1,000 words" fits right here. We don't know exactly what is missing from your mill. If it's just the motor and control, that's not to bad to replace. IIRC, that's just a C-faced motor hanging below the saddle. It's been so long that I don't remember what the motor connection was. BP liked to machine the shaft ends. You could probably find a DC motor and Minarik controler for what the Servo cost you. The tables on a Series II are heavy with a lot of contact area with saddle. That takes a lot of torque to move. The amount that your cutting has little to do with the torque requirements in this case.
JR

BTW, a Series II would not be my first choice for milling heads and blocks. A horizontal mill works a lot better, don't have to worry about table sag.

Before I would buy a stripped machine, I would have done my homework and found out just how difficult it was going to be, to bring the machine in question, back into service.

Before I would buy a stripped machine, I would have done my homework and found out just how difficult it was going to be, to bring the machine in question, back into service.

I did do my homework.... I called servo and they said they make a power feed and it was $1000 so I ordered it. The problem is they didn't know there is a difference between a series II and a series II special. I know the factory power feed parts are hard to come by and I had no intentions of going that route. I paid $750 delivered for the mill so im not out a whole lot of money. All power feed parts were stripped, motors, switches, control box on the back everything. I will be looking into the right angle ac motor idea as that seems the best route at this point. thank you to everyone who has helped thus far!

OK, one more time. The motor in the lower center of the above pic, drives the X and Y. IIRC, it's about a 1 hp, C faced, DC motor. Very common. You can get on of those and a Minarik DC drive. List on a new Leeson motor that size is about $500. A Minarik drive that size is about $200. Mounting box and wiring another $50. Then you've got X AND Y feed.

Just in case, the original motor was a Peerless model 1263-1614-R. You can still buy them new for about $1,800. The feed parts are worth more than the mill.

I don't remember what the end connection was on the motor. If it had a coupler or the shaft was machined.
JR

I will look into doing this as well. I will have to look at the mill and see how they transmitted power from the motor to the axes. I also have a k&t 205s12 i may be able to surface with but i would rather use the series II. large blocks like inline six tractor engines would be a lot easier to surface.

I know this is a really old thread but I have the exact same problem, the x y feed motor shaft seal must have failed and oil from the gearbox above was running into the motor causing problems and scrapped it. As you are well aware im sure the face of this motor is the floor of the gearbox and the shaft is specific to this machine.

Now these motors are anywhere from $3000-$5000 new which is obliviously out of the question as the machine itself is worth maybe $7500 with all the feeds and rapids working.

I cant get a rebuild because of course they all want cores and the magnets are cracked on this one.

That being said were you talking about mounting a different motor to the end of the table behind the handle like on the small bridgeport?

Thanks for the advise in advance. This is why i always consult the experts first

Series 2s can come with 6F/8F powerfeeds on them, and I know you can put Servo's on the knee. I would have to look to see if they have a kit for the XY, which I think they do.

Jon

Back