What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Series II quill stuck !

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
1980's model,with no. 40 spindle.....has been sitting for years, but when I finally freed the seized quill there was no rust whatsoever....but it's still damned hard to move up or down.

It's not the quill lock...removed the whole mechanism, brass cams and all... probably not the quill feed...removed the engagement clutch. Not the counterbalance spring jammed up somehow...removed that. Not the adjustable key for the quill keyway....slackened the adjustment there.

Plenty of CRC sprayed on the quill, and the spline.

All that.. and it still just barely moves with great force applied to handle. Sheesh, there's nothing much left except maybe it's binding where the pinion shaft enters the quill feed box somehow ? Any ideas ?

Re bent quill, I thought about that, and suppose it's a possiblity, but find it difficult to imagine a senario that could bend such a massive quill on a head that tilts both ways (i.e. even with a large force against the quill in full lower position one would think the head bolts might let the head move a little before the quill would bend)

The spline drive on this machine is twice as large as it is on a Series I Bridgeport.

On Monday I'll lower the quill and attach an indicator base to the table, indicator on quill in various positions, as Z axis raises, to see.

You mean the spline I already mentioned is huge, looks fine and already sprayed with CRC ? Or another one ??

Yep - bolts on front of knuckle(?). Worm in swivel works to rotate using #24 as the worm wheel.

John

[ 12-13-2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: johnoder ]

Well, I can't find any evidence of the quill being bent. I think the problem has to be a broken tooth on the quill pinion gear with the tooth jammed up in there somehow....guess I'll have to get the manual...

Certainly not a Series II expert. On my Series I with a round ram my novice attempt to tram the "nod" axis was to shim the head to ram interface. This twisted the casting enough to bind the quill.

Might the head-to-knuckle bolts not have proper/even torque?

I have one of those BP2 4J heads and moving the quill up and down takes a lot of effort. I couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I just decided that this is normal and learned to live with it.

If you do finally figure out what the problem is, I'd like to know how to remedy the problem.

Max

I once had a 2J mill which had a very hard to move quill. Someone had overtightened the setscrew located on the backside of the quill at the very bottom. I think this is the seal retainer. Anyway This setscrew had the quill distorted and it solved the problem when I set it properly.

Julian

Well, it fixed itself ! I had sprayed copious amounts of penetrant on the quill and the spline with no result but apparently just sitting for 4 days some of the CRC penetrant finally freed up something and now it works great ! Looking more closely it must have been the spline had some rust that I couldn't see because now the spline looks a bit more "orange" than it did...apparently due to disolved rust/dryed coolant that the penetrant finally worked free.

I know this is a super old thread, but where is the spline that you are referring to? I have a series 2 with the exact same problem that I'd really like to fix (its unusable as it is). Thanks!

Back