What's new
What's new

Bridgeport shaping head-out of square.

TedinNorfolk

Stainless
OK-I find shaping head at fair price. When it's on I check it with my cube square. It's miles out in the plane you can't adjust. I've squared it up by shimming the swivel flange,and will leave it be as I use it for shaping half-rounds on bearing brasses and the like. The jaw which fits the ram is a perfect fit. Has anyone else found this? As I said,it does everything I want to do with it,so I shan't mess with it.

Yes-in usual milling mode it's in perfect tram. The error is such that the flange is zero at top and at bottom about .05" gap! I imagine that the error lies in the machining of the jaw piece. Assuming the ram seating is parallel to the flange on the main head casting ��

don't remember does the shaping head rotate like the spindle? my old work place had one of these, but it was used for lapping splines. didn't shape keyways. is there any way to shim it.

I suspect that the turret ram is not actually parallel to the table.

The milling head can be trammed in both X and Y axis to compensate for this.

The shaper head can only be trammed in one axis depending on how the head is swiveled.

If the turret ram is out of parallel with the table, it will show up in the shaper head alignment non-trammable axis.

Of course the shaper head might be messed up but I would want to verify the ram for being parallel to the table before I started tearing into things.

...yes,interesting! I think if the ram wasn't parallel to table.the nodding deg scale would not be at zero with the head in tram? I could set a clock on the flange face and see if it's parallel to the main column. If that shows true,then the error will be in the shaping head itself.

Back