What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Step Pulley Head Question

double

Aluminum
Maybe someone here can help. When Im running high range and my speed changing handle is all the way over the head sounds terrible. I can tap the lever over to the "R" on Bridgeport and its quiet as a mouse but lately its starting to move back over easier and easier by itself therefore making that horrible noise. Is there a way to tighten this thing up so it will stay at the "R" and be quiet! TIA....Jack

Hi Neighbor! I am located about 30 miles from you in Kingsport, Tn. I also have an old step pulley Bridgeport. I hope I understand your problem correctly. The speed changing lever you mention--is it the handle on top of the head that rotates a cam with two inclined slots? If so, I had a similar problem. The two little round studs, located in these slots, tend to get bent and allow the jaw type clutch faces to rub while you are in high. I had to replace mine. When I replaced mine, I found a shim under this cam where a previous owner had tried to shim it up instead of replacing the little studs. Look carefully when you try to remove the studs as I remember, they have a very small set screw jammed against their threads. You have to remove these set screws first then remove the stud. If the threads on the studs are wallowed out you may have to figure a way to repair the threads.

By the way, I am planning to sell my 1951 round ram Bridgeport if you know of anyone that might be interested. You may contact me directly at:
[email protected]

I'm not sure what you're doing. There are two speed-change levers, one on top of the head that can be forward or to the right, and a small lever on the right side just below the pulleys that can be either forward or rear.

To change to the low range, you move the top lever to the right and the side lever forward.
To change to the high range you move the top lever forward. With the side lever still forward you rotate the rear pulley until you hear the gear drop in, then move the side lever to the rear.

These are the only two valid combinations of these settings. The other two combinations are not valid and should never be used.

If your standing in front looking directly at the aluminum head cover where it says "Bridgeport" Its lever that drops the pully just above the name. Like I said if I tap the lever over to where its even with the "R" on the name Bridgeport its quietens right down. I think "Toolnut" probably solved my problem! Thank You!......Jack

if I tap the lever over to where its even with the "R" on the name Bridgeport its quietens right down.
OK. There are two Rs in Bridgeport. But there's no way the lever should ever be over either one of them during operation.

I just went out and looked at mine to be sure. When forward the lever should be over the G, i.e. pointing straight ahead. In the side position it should be directly above the small oiler, off the end of the Bridgeport name. If you're running it in any other position there's a major problem.

If its over the "G" thats when it makes the noise. I know its a lame way to explain my problem but if I tap it over with the palm of my hand to po"R"t it quietens right down. I bought this machine about 8 months ago from Machine Manual Services (Which Im not bad mothing them) but it made a noise then and the guy sent me another complete head and when I installed it, it made the same noise! I called him and told him this one was doing basically the same thing he just kinda washed his hands of the deal figuring lightning cant strike twice! 4000.00 for a 1965 Bridgeport step pully you probably cant expect much!LOL. Its got a nice DRO though. The old machine runs great and makes very precise cuts and the noise hasnt gotten any worse. Imagine a train on tracks making the clackety clack sound, reminds me of the noise. its not grinding or growling and it quietens right down after I tap the lever over. I wouldnt have known to do this but a machinist buddy of mine came over and said he ran one a few years back that made the same noise and thats what he done to quieten it down. Sorry for the long post buts its kinda hard to explain. Thanns, Jack

Back