What's new
What's new

Bridgeport & Supermax

J. DeBrular

Cast Iron
I have a Supermax mill and this winter I want to do some work on it. The powerfeed doesn't work like it should and a couple other small isues. Bridgeport parts are more
easily obtained and a lot cheaper than Supermax. Are they close enough alike that they
will interchange?

John DeBrular

I worked for a SuperMax dealer in the 80's. The early mills were a real hodge-podge of parts. The 4 swivel bolts on the head would be replaced with BP stock. The nod bolts were 1/2-12 and we'd get them from SM along with table locks.

At that time, compared to a BP, they weren't much, but compared to some of the clones that come in now, they aren't a bad machine. As for your parts, I'd say your chances are less than 50% that BP parts will fit.

Sorry
JR

They wont bolt on but with a little work you can make them fit I worked for a machinerey dealer and that is what we did all the time, you will actually have better luck with the parts from other imports they are closer. you will be drilling and grinding to make them fit they wont bolt right on in most cases. Heck even the right parts dont bolt right on they always needed work. The BP parts do fit BPs with no trouble though.

I found Supermax parts to be very reasonable, I wonder if all parts dealers have different pricing? Or you don't realize that low volume non standard parts are expensive by nature? I used to have lot's of mills, now I am down to one Supermax I think it is a 3hp 9 x 48 or close to that size.

I found Supermax parts to be very reasonable

Where did you get them? I called YCI because I need a feed nut bracket and the two feed nuts and I about choked when they told me the price. Part of the problem is they won't let me order just a feed nut bracket and the two nuts. They make you order a longitudinal feed screw too and the total bill comes to over $800 whereas the feed nut bracket assembly from Bridgeport is right at $200.
I haven't purchased the parts from Bridgeport yet but that is my plan. I'm willing to take the chance for the price differential. I'll modify it accordingly.

Can you recomend a supplier for Supermax parts. Where can I get a good manual or parts list for my Supermax?

John DeBrular

YCI Supermax 10629 Forest Street Sante Fe Springs, CA 90670 USA Phone: 800-924-7899.

I guess I got lucky. I got a new 3 hp motor, the vari drive components that go on the motor shaft and the drive belt for $650. That was about 6 years ago. I wonder if they have went to
"lean inventory" and stop having replacement parts produced in large quantities driving the price up. I got them from the YCI place I listed the phone number for.

Back