What's new
What's new

Bridgeport - Supermax compatibility...

AZ_Ron

Plastic
Alrighty folks... I've been digging, and can't seem to come up with a firm answer...

I've got a 1982 Supermax YC-1 1/2VS... I picked it up at a great price, but the shaft on the 2HP motor has a seriously wallered out (Technical term) keyway... The base of the shaft measure 25mm (.984), keyway measures 7mm (.275).
I was hoping to pickup a Bridgeport 2HP armature, but I can't seem to find much for reference on the 2HP BP shaft, but 1.179 seems to come up, so the BP motors have too large a shaft.
It seems that my options are to either weld up the current shaft and re-machine it, or replace the entire motor/vari-pulley assembly with a Bridgeport version (Doable?)
I've looked for a Supermax Replacement motor/armature, but have come up empty.

Toss out your comments, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

Ron

My Spermax VS head was wore pretty bad. I replaced the pulleys with timing gears and belt and use a VFD with the high and low on the head to control speed. Very quiet and works great.

My Spermax VS head was wore pretty bad. I replaced the pulleys with timing gears and belt and use a VFD with the high and low on the head to control speed. Very quiet and works great.

HI Scott... I'd seen a few people mention that they'd done this... Would you happen to have a link to the pulley's and belt you used? I've got VFDs on several machines and really like the versatility. I'm going to have a VFD on the SuperMax one way or the other, so going with a timing belt seems like a pretty good idea. I'm just a hobbyist and mostly machine aluminum and mild steel, so I don't think I'll have too much to fret about with torque losses. I picked up the machine for $500, and hate the thought of dropping a grand on another motor setup if I can figure out an alternative.

Thanks!!

Ron

I bought the pulleys and belt from Automation direct. The pulleys I used were SQD40L100AF-SDS the belt was 345L100NG. I bought the bushings from Mcmaster Carr because Automation didn't have the metric ones in stock. I don't remember what the center to center distance was on my machine but I used that measurement with an online calculator to figure the pulley size and belt length. I left the lower pulley on the spindle side so the brake would still work.

I am in the same situation as you with the same VS 1 1/2 mill - wallowed out keyway on the motor rotor. I was planning to fill the keyway up with JB weld then put the keystock wrapped in saran wrap to re-make the keyway slot. Haven't tried it yet but Scott's option sounds better than what I was going to do.

So the two part numbers mentioned above are the correct belt length, etc? That is great!

Scott do you happen to have the part number to the bushings on mcmaster? I know it's an easy to use site but I'm not great at futzing around with it

Scott do you happen to have the part number to the bushings on mcmaster? I know it's an easy to use site but I'm not great at futzing around with it

I spoke too soon - got it figured. My motor rotor was 25mm, spindle rotor was 35mm. FYI for future reference

Back