What's new
What's new

Bridgeport and Textron Question

brishek

Plastic
Bridgeport Textron Question

I own two Bridgeport mills with 2J heads. One is a Textron built in 1981 and the other is an older Bridgeport built in 1977. The backlash in both units is the same and runs ~.050 in the longitudinal direction and ~0.20 in the cross-feed direction. Both machines need some repair work in the varidrive assemblies which I have started to perform. Once the drives are functional, I will be able to test the heads to determine if all the functions work as they should. Here are a few facts.

The Textron unit seems to have been set up for flood coolant. It has coolant slots that run the length of the table between the outer T-slots and sides of the table. The base of the mill has a coolant sump built into the casting (this will be a mess to clean up). The ways on the knee are chrome plated and look to be in pretty good shape in that most of the flaking is still visible. It has a Servo power feed that runs well.

The Bridgeport unit does not have a coolant sump in the base nor any additional slots in the table. The ways on the knee are significantly warn. The flaking is visible only near the ends of the ways, there is no chrome plating and the wipers may be missing from a couple locations. It has a Bridgeport power feed that runs well.

I'm seeking recommendations as to which mill I should keep and which I should sell after the repair work is completed. I plan to re-scrape the ways on the unit I will keep. In general, I think the Textron is in better shape. Is it possible to scrap the chrome ways? Thanks in advance for any inputs you can provide.

Not unless you strip the chrome, I sure would not do it unless it is falling off on it's own. The chrome ways last a long time, I have one that has had a lot of use and the ways still look great. .050 lash is not so bad, try adjusting it. If you tighten it up too much though the screw will bind at extreme end of travel.

Something is funny here:
1 AFAIK, BP did not put any additional slots in the table.
2. Textron got rid of the enclosed base models. They were last made by Adcock Shipley.
3. What makes you think one of your machines is a Textron?

Actually, both machines are Textron. They owned BP from 68 to 85.
JR

Stick with the chrome and don't waste time scraping it. That my 2 cents. What's you're intended use?

I believe it's a Textron because the machine has a large Textron nameplate riveted to the left side (as you face the machine). The additional slots are not full T-slots. I referred top them as coolant slots because they appear to be used to catch and direct coolant to the cavities on each end of the table.

I was being a little sarcastic on the Textron thing. Most had it on the ram insert "Bridgeport by Textron"

I really think you have an imported machine or one that somebody modified. I've been doing this for a long time and have only seen the coolant slots on "NC" machines and Adcock-Shipley made machines. Or. somebody added them.

To scrap chrome ways, the chrome is removed first. If the flaking is still there, why would you want to scrape? Also, there are only 4 way wipers on a BP; front and back of saddle and top of knee each side. Before Textron, chrome ways were an option. Machines had a tag that was riveted to the saddle (right side IIRC) that said "Equipped with Tibon chrome ways".

Both mills should have one-shot lube systems. Make certain that they are working.
JR

I was being a little sarcastic on the Textron thing. Most had it on the ram insert "Bridgeport by Textron"

I really think you have an imported machine or one that somebody modified. I've been doing this for a long time and have only seen the coolant slots on "NC" machines and Adcock-Shipley made machines. Or. somebody added them.

To scrap chrome ways, the chrome is removed first. If the flaking is still there, why would you want to scrape? Also, there are only 4 way wipers on a BP; front and back of saddle and top of knee each side. Before Textron, chrome ways were an option. Machines had a tag that was riveted to the saddle (right side IIRC) that said "Equipped with Tibon chrome ways".

Both mills should have one-shot lube systems. Make certain that they are working.
JR

JR: Thanks for the additional info. You're right. The machine does have a tag riveted to the right side of the frond face of the knee. The tag was difficult to read, but with the info you provided, I can see that it reads "Poeton Tibon, Hard Chrome, Slide Ways". It's entirely possible that the machine's been modified. I have never seen a Bridgeport with the additional slots either.

I also have a bridgeport textron set up similar to yours. I have a 74 by the best of my research Jhead 1hp. Mine has a 9x24 table,T-slots go the whole length of the table servo drive. About two inches at each end their are areas recessed lower than the T-slots which have 3/4 npt threads out of table towards the rear. I do not have a reservoir/pump area though. My plan was to make a box reservoir/pump set up but I ended up making a nice fog/mister and it works great for my work.

Mine has a 9x24 table,T-slots go the whole length of the table servo drive. About two inches at each end their are areas recessed lower than the T-slots which have 3/4 npt threads out of table towards the rear.

I hope that's a typo and you meant 42". If not, you don't have much travel.
The recesses are stock BP.
BTW, welcome
JR

I hope that's a typo and you meant 42". If not, you don't have much travel.
The recesses are stock BP.
BTW, welcome
JR

Most definitely a typo its a 42. Being the second owner first was a machinist at work and home. He bought it new and I know he didnt modify it. He was long retired and needed it gone by the end of the week house was sold he was going to Florida. Had it out that day near mint and for a price you wouldn't even believe if I said.
Thanks for the welcome I've trolled the site for years to answer my questions and always found them. Registered to see posted pictures and access to links posted. Great resources!
Sorry for the post hijack:nono:

Back