What's new
What's new

Bridgeport TNC 145 PC connection

scott_walker

Plastic
I’m wanting to connect my Bridgeport with TNC145 control to my pc to upload programs. I have checked online and any forum discussion is unclear. Has anyone done this and know the type of cable required and where I can buy one or get one made? I have tried using tnc server and a generic 25pin to 9pin cable and usb converter that I use for uploading programs to haas machines in work but the machine does not recognise the cable and tnc Remo does not see a connection. Any help with this is appreciated.

Thanks

The TNC wants actual RS232 not this PC wannabe

I have had a setup for 25 years to do it, and do not remember the wiring, but it is not complicated, rts jumped to cts and one other jumper.....

Having done this with a 151a, I'll hazard a guess that you need a null modem cable with appropriate connectors for PC and control. If you don't find the assembly online, cable and connectors are available to DIY.

And the control will need several new parameters to use TNC server. (The majority of TNC Remo is for DNC, if you really want to open a can of worms!) A savvy tech at Heidenhain USA helped me out with parameter changes 10 years ago, but their level of support for the older controls is now spotty here in the US. Hopefully you can find someone in England.

It may be easier to use conventional RS232 (without TNC Server) and old DOS based communications programs like Hyperlink. (No parameter changes necessary.) If you use one of those, you'll have to trot back and forth between pc and control a couple times to transfer a single program. Way less convenient than TNC Server, but less complicated to set up and your only choice if you can't come up with the right parameters.

Do you have all the manuals for your control? They'd be very helpful.

....Theoretically, the cable is good for up to 50', but I'd make it only slightly longer than required.

Agreed, though my line's about 75' long. I don't recommend it either, but with proper grounding and careful routing, it can work if that's the only alternative.

....Also, suggest using a PC with a REAL serial-port, not a USB to serial. This will require an old PC or the couple of "toughbook" pc's that still have a serial port.

I'll second that recommendation!

Back