What's new
What's new

Bridgeport EZ Trak wiring?

jccaclimber

Stainless
I have a new to me Bridgeport EZ Trak DX (1993 S/N). Being in my garage without 3p I am planning to hook it up to a VFD (suggestions welcome). The plate says it uses wiring diagram #1942856, which of course I don't have. I placed a call to Hardinge who says they don't have it, and Google has been failing me as well.

1) Does anyone have that wiring diagram that they could send me a copy? Either PM or my username at yahoo.com would be great.

2) I found one person on here who had put a VFD on an EZ Trak and kept the controls, but they haven't been active in a while. Has anyone here done this and if so is there anything I need to know?

3) The motor (probably original) says 3 HP for up to 30 minutes and 2 HP continuous. The 2J head says 2HP on it. Does this mean a 3 hp VFD, or will a 2 HP do? It doesn't look like there's a huge price difference, but no sense buying something I don't need.

I have a new to me Bridgeport EZ Trak DX (1993 S/N). Being in my garage without 3p I am planning to hook it up to a VFD (suggestions welcome). The plate says it uses wiring diagram #1942856, which of course I don't have. I placed a call to Hardinge who says they don't have it, and Google has been failing me as well.

1) Does anyone have that wiring diagram that they could send me a copy? Either PM or my username at yahoo.com would be great.

2) I found one person on here who had put a VFD on an EZ Trak and kept the controls, but they haven't been active in a while. Has anyone here done this and if so is there anything I need to know?

3) The motor (probably original) says 3 HP for up to 30 minutes and 2 HP continuous. The 2J head says 2HP on it. Does this mean a 3 hp VFD, or will a 2 HP do? It doesn't look like there's a huge price difference, but no sense buying something I don't need.

1. I am sorry I cannot help you with the wiring diagram I only have 94-3390

2. Just a quick note on powering the EZ-TRAK. Powering it with a vfd takes a little know how and when I researched doing it that way it apparently you can only use it to power the motor and not the electronics. I think that the gentleman that I read used a vfd was not able to use a few accessories but not exactly sure what. I just went ahead and bought a rotary phase converter so I didn't have to worry about screwing up the wiring. Works great for my lathe and TRAK.

Just my $.02

1. I am sorry I cannot help you with the wiring diagram I only have 94-3390

2. Just a quick note on powering the EZ-TRAK. Powering it with a vfd takes a little know how and when I researched doing it that way it apparently you can only use it to power the motor and not the electronics. I think that the gentleman that I read used a vfd was not able to use a few accessories but not exactly sure what. I just went ahead and bought a rotary phase converter so I didn't have to worry about screwing up the wiring. Works great for my lathe and TRAK.

Just my $.02

1) Can you pass me 94-3390? Not sure how similar it will be, but it should be obvious up front and the general layout may be similar.

2) Agreed on the VFD to the motor only. The power supply for the computer is set to 120 V input, although I'm not sure where it is getting it from yet. The control motors look to be DC driven, so I'm hoping they all run off one phase. If the control cabinet other than the spindle motor can be driven off of a standard 230 V 1p connection I'll do that, then rewire the VFD to the spindle. I'm an ME and my wife is an EE, so between us and our friends, and this place I'm pretty sure I can get it figured out, all assuming the other controls don't require 3p as well.

1) Can you pass me 94-3390? Not sure how similar it will be, but it should be obvious up front and the general layout may be similar.

2) Agreed on the VFD to the motor only. The power supply for the computer is set to 120 V input, although I'm not sure where it is getting it from yet. The control motors look to be DC driven, so I'm hoping they all run off one phase. If the control cabinet other than the spindle motor can be driven off of a standard 230 V 1p connection I'll do that, then rewire the VFD to the spindle. I'm an ME and my wife is an EE, so between us and our friends, and this place I'm pretty sure I can get it figured out, all assuming the other controls don't require 3p as well.

1. Yea pm me your email and I will shoot it over to you tomorrow afternoon.

2. I was only able to get the dwg after inquiring about it from hardinge. I believe your right about the control being 120v should be getting it from 2 legs through a step down transformer. If your an ME and your SO is a EE shouldn't have any problem. I'm just an IE with limited experience in the field of EE so looking at all the wires and overload relays spooked me.

EDIT

After going through the wiring diagram the setup isn't the beast I made it out to be but I was already 4 months into a rpc. It's also a simpler option for my older father. After looking at the dwg I started Collecting parts and am currently one piece away from being able to add 3rd axis cnc capability. I plan on creating a how to when I get the last piece.

1. Yea pm me your email and I will shoot it over to you tomorrow afternoon.

2. I was only able to get the dwg after inquiring about it from hardinge. I believe your right about the control being 120v should be getting it from 2 legs through a step down transformer. If your an ME and your SO is a EE shouldn't have any problem. I'm just an IE with limited experience in the field of EE so looking at all the wires and overload relays spooked me.

EDIT

After going through the wiring diagram the setup isn't the beast I made it out to be but I was already 4 months into a rpc. It's also a simpler option for my older father. After looking at the dwg I started Collecting parts and am currently one piece away from being able to add 3rd axis cnc capability. I plan on creating a how to when I get the last piece.

Should be in your PM box, thank you. Good luck with your third axis project. Are you planning to counterweight and power the knee, or power the quill?

Should be in your PM box, thank you. Good luck with your third axis project. Are you planning to counterweight and power the knee, or power the quill?

Just the quill like the original ones are done. Found everything I needed from Hardinge & EBay for about $800. Only thing I lack is the elrod kit. I will get the dwg to you by tomorrow night.

After looking at the dwg I started Collecting parts and am currently one piece away from being able to add 3rd axis cnc capability. I plan on creating a how to when I get the last piece.

I would be really interested in seeing your "how to" on adding the third axis as that's something I've been contemplating adding to my EZ Trak as well. Hope it turns out well for you.

Ted

I would be really interested in seeing your "how to" on adding the third axis as that's something I've been contemplating adding to my EZ Trak as well. Hope it turns out well for you.

Ted

It might be awhile until I get the Elrod kit ($$$). I can send you the wiring diagram that has the 3rd axis option w/encoder if you want.

It might be awhile until I get the Elrod kit ($$$). I can send you the wiring diagram that has the 3rd axis option w/encoder if you want.

Isen,

Thanks for the offer. I actually already have that wiring schematic. I looked at the Elrod kits on-line. Looks like a nice set-up, but Holy Cow !, those kits cost more than I paid for my whole mill. Since this machining thing is just a hobby for me, I'll likely just live with my 2-axis CNC system.

Good luck with your project.

Ted

Also need wiring diagram or any information

I just brought home a mid 90s mill with the EZ Trak DX 3 axis set up. Could you send the wiring information ( or any related to the electronics ). The shop I bought the machine from said it stopped working so I need to debug it to see if I can get it going again.

Thanks,
Alan

I just brought home a mid 90s mill with the EZ Trak DX 3 axis set up. Could you send the wiring information ( or any related to the electronics ). The shop I bought the machine from said it stopped working so I need to debug it to see if I can get it going again.

Thanks,
Alan

Unfortunately I'm halfway across the country from my machine, and don't expect that to resolve any time soon. I was able to boot the computer to DOS with effort, but was not able to get any software running on the floppy drive. I have used it as a manual machine, but not much else.
In order to get the computer running I had to replace the battery on the motherboard, swap in a new keyboard (which required a bit of rewiring an old PS2 keyboard to the opposite side DIN connector, not hard, info somewhere online), and then replacing the monitor which promptly burned out. Fortunately getting the monitor doing was easy as that was just a VGA connector.

I have attached what I have on ez trak wiring schematics. Please note this dwg may not apply to your particular machine.

Hopefully this helps other ez trak owners in the future troubleshoot their machines.

Attachments

• EZ TRAK WIRING SCHEMATICS 94-3390.jpg
    EZ TRAK WIRING SCHEMATICS 94-3390.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 3,203
I have attached what I have on ez trak wiring schematics. Please note this dwg may not apply to your particular machine.

Hopefully this helps other ez trak owners in the future troubleshoot their machines.
Hello Isen, apologies for digging up an old thread, but do you have a higher resolution image of this schematic you posted? I need to reconfigure the transformer in my mill, and this is the closet drawing I've seen - theres no tap information on the transformer in mine at all and I need to change it from 380v to 240v. Thanks!

You can find all of the documents I have on the ez trak on the vintage machinery website under the Bridgeport manuals. Good luck. You may need to change out some additional components due to the amperage change as well. Take a look at my posting history for that one, its somewhere in there

Back