What's new
What's new

Bridgeport VMC drawbar removal??

amh82

Plastic
Hi guys, I have a Bridgeport VMC 800 22 that has some issues with tool run out. The tool taper in the spindle runs true, but with a tool fitted there is runout. I blued up the inside of the taper and you can see that there is partial contact top and bottom, 180' apart, as if the holder is not being pulled up true.

I wanted to check the drawbar for broken springs or worn ball bearings, but from the drawing I'm not sure how it comes out! It looks like there is a nut at the top that could be removed with a hooked pin spanner (once the drawbar actuator has been removed), but the drawings describe it as a spindle end cap.

Is it a case of removing this nut, and then pushing the drawbar up from the bottom, and retrieving the washers with a magnet?

IMG_20201217_111533.jpgIMG_20201217_111538.jpg

Hi guys, hoping someone can offer some advice!

Have been looking at this drawbar today as the run out is getting worse and you can easilly pry between the spindle nose and tool holder flange, which seems to indicate the pulling force is pretty weak.

This drawbar arrangement seems different to others, looks like it has to come out of the top. I have attached a drawing.

I undid the top nut (7) and removed the actuator sleeve (6), but all you are left with is the top of the drawbar.

This is flanged at the top to push down on the washer stack, so can't be withdrawn from the bottom.

There is a 5mm hex up inside the spindle from underneath, which attaches the ball collet to the drawbar - but trying to undo this is just turning the drawbar. Unfortunately there is nothing to hold onto on top of drawbar.

So I pit it all back together and operated the air/oil actuator to put some pressure on the drawbar in the hope it would stop it from turning. Now the locking screw (14) has some resistance, but it is very very tight.

So tight i'm worried it will ring off.

So before i carry on, has anyone had these type of drawbar apart before? Am I on the right track?

Any chance the collet lock screw could be LH thread??

Really appreciate some help - thanks!

Back