What's new
What's new

Bridgeport X Axis Hung Up On Y Lock Lever - Bozo's Revenge

Veebee

Plastic
So in a moment of carelessness while bringing my cutter around for a finishing pass yesterday, an annoying thing happened. I unlocked my Y to move around my part, and then buzzed the my X powerfeed across to get into position faster. "Hmmm, why's it struggling so much" I asked - but the X wasn't locked. Turns out the Y lock lever had spun all the way up under the ways, wedged in, and I was basically pushing the table over it. For about a foot.

I got it off, but it feels like it left a lovely little rounded trail under the ways. It's a mid 60s that the previous owner had used grease with, so there's some smootz under there, but if I did in fact deform the metal (the bottom face of the dovetail) what am I looking at? Rescraping, or something more intensive? I talked myself down from a ledge yesterday by telling myself I'd just added another oil channel :P

Anyway, I'm not chasing .0001" accuracy on this thing, but I do have some work I need to keep doing on it, so I only want to take the table off if I really have to.

It still travels smooth.

You really should pull the table and check the actual amount of injury. However, if you are in a bind time wise, you might be able to pacify yourself with the "it stills moves smoothly" statement. Personally, I would pull the table!:)

Yeah, I hear ya. I have one more setup before these parts go off to the lathe for an op. I'll get in there and try and take a picture after, and maybe pull it then. I've been meaning to clean out the residual grease anyway. I'll report back with some visual evidence of my stupidity.

e997f055fb88b9d8d95f13f4a6dfd57e.jpg

Definitely deformation but I realized this isn’t actually a contact surface. Close call! Slept easier last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You should knock down the end of the handle by 1mm. I notice that my handle will just kiss the table when I rotate it counter-clockwise from 3 O'clock to 6 O'clock.

Back