What's new
What's new

Bridgport series1 wiring

pieterb

Plastic
Hello,
I just bought a Series 1 Bridgeport mill. It is wired for 3x220V 50Hz. The electric drawing No is WD159D. I think there are some changes made on the wiring (speed control feed?). Does anyone have this drawing because I have no papers with the machine? Can I convert it to 3x380V or do I just buy a converter?

Thanks

PM me with your e-Mail address and I'll send you a "typical" Adcock Shipley built Bridgeport wiring diagram along with details of the Erskine power feed electrics and electronics. There is a big multi-tap transformer in the box to run the control gear and feed drive which has appropriate input and output tappings for the common supply voltages. Motor on a UK built machine will be wired nominal 415 V three phase so should be happy on 380 V. They can be changed to 220 V three phase if you want to use a VFD. Not as easily as ordinary motors but pretty straight forward. Just more connections to keep track of.

From the serial number yours was built / supplied in February 1988. I don't have a diagram specifically for a machine of that year. Mine are for 1960's, 1970's and (possibly) early 1980's vintage machines but they are all very similar so probably the latest one will be fine for you.

The power feed circuit is, again, typical. Several revisions but functionally the same. Changes mostly to use different components I think. I don't have a circuit for the directly interchangeable Quantum power feed drive unit but all the connections and set up data are the same. Far as I know Erskine stopped making the power feed drives so Quantum re-packaged theirs to match Bridgeport wiring.

If the box is blown any "90 volt" DC servo drive with sufficient current capacity should work fine. Although you may have to change the speed control potentiometer for one of different value. Great thing about the proper Bridgeport unit is the strip style multi connector which makes it very easy to wire in without making a mistake.

Clive

Back