Chuck size verses Spindle / Bearing wear - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

(gloat ) - for two Ben's & a Grant, I got a couple brand new Adjustru chucks at the Hardinge factory auction a few years ago. The 6" Buck-Forkhardt has the HLV spindle nose thread in it. (The other US made KMC was plain back, I made a Hardinge 4° taper mount and put it on an ESM). Point: Hardinge supplied 6" chucks for the HLV- lathes including chuckers.

smt

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    Point: Hardinge supplied 6" chucks for the HLV- lathes including chuckers. smt
    Hi Stephen ... Thanks very much for your comments, gladly received

Just ordered a 6" PB 3 Jaw Setrite Chuck complete with PB 4° Fully machined backplate ... That's my pension money spent LOL

John

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post

Bison went to the wall a while back, was reorganized, fell off my radar due to some reports of inconsistent QC. And/or 'offshoring'. Steel-body / high-RPM Bison are pricey when one DOES find 'em.

Bill
    Bill,

That is definitely a lengthy story in regards to BISON's QC. I can assure you that we are separated from the company causing that issue. We have always had our items manufactured in Poland, and will continue to do so!

Call me if you have questions! 513-713-0513

Tony

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I must admit I'd have bought Bison in favour of PB ... but they don't or cannot offer a matching back plate for the Hardinge 4 degree taper.

Just my two penceworth

John
    Last edited by Jersey John; 06-11-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Bill,

That is definitely a lengthy story in regards to BISON's QC. I can assure you that we are separated from the company causing that issue. We have always had our items manufactured in Poland, and will continue to do so!

Call me if you have questions! 513-713-0513

Tony
    I have no issue with Poland, nor the Poles, Tony. Government or overly-aggressive Unions, or bumps in the road of finance to cover investment in replacing worn or obsolete machinery (or fail to do..) are universal. They've hit old-line American manufacturers, too, and perhaps HARDER than Bison/Bial. Most of ours are either 'gone' or mere shadows of former greatness now re-branding the goods of others.

Someone has fences to mend, all of them above my current pay-grade.

So I am glad to see you HERE on PM and taking on the hard questions where 'many' can be reached with the answers.

I've sorted my own needs already.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default HLV-H Spindle

Hello;
    I looked online for 2 hours and did not find a rated max weight for the HLV-H or HC Chucker... does anyone happen to know this?

John

I'm sure when a machine manufacturer designs a lathe headstock many factors are taken into account like construction of the main spindle and it's bearings with a matched size and weight of chuck ... and obviously swing over bed clearance etc etc.

I've re-acquired a HLV-H and Hardinge's main "Standard" chucks (both 3 and 4 jaw) are 5" (125mm) diameter ... but I'd like to make my main "In use" chuck a 6" (Actually 160mm here in Europe) ...

Will I "really" be producing extra long term stress to the bearings and spindle. The machine is in great condition for it's age and it's never going to see daily industrial use.

I'm also aware of the fact that the larger the chuck diameter the lower it's maximum RPM and in the case of the 6" (160mm) it's maximum rating is still slightly higher than the HLV-H's maximum RPM

Comments welcomed before I splash out on a "larger" chuck and matching machined backplate.

Thanks in anticipation

John [/QUOTE]