Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh speculation is rampant here, if I made as many inferences as a lot of “pros” do on here, I’d be fired tomorrow. Anyways, you can use electrolysis to clean the metal for sure, BUT just make sure the metal you use as your anode is cast iron as well, using different metals or graphite could lead to removing good metal. I won’t bother explain how that works unless you care to know, just respond if you’d like a more detailed explanation. Oh and due to its carbon content, the cast iron will come out black after electrocleaning, but this is easily brushed off and leaves a nice clean piece. Good luck!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMo it is very unlikely that the usefulness of a machine table could be destroyed by rust.
    "Removing the rust" with acid or electrolysis is a complete waste of time. Only the actual "surface" of the surfaces are important, so SCRAPE off the rust that is ON the surface with a flat scraper, stone the surfaces flat, and your done.
    Non critical surfaces and impossible to reach spots, areas that will be painted; wire brush.

I never did anything special to clean the rust off some areas my tools or machines, just used them properly, keep it oiled and wiped off, and it fixes itself. Rust is a polishing agent, low spots in the surfaces hold oil and can improve lubrication.

Although....those rusty quill pics on the last page are terrifying!
    But even if the head is goner, it could be replaced. They made 3x more heads then they did mills. For adapting to other machines, or 2 head tracer models which aren't much use today.
    Last edited by Glenurban; 08-23-2019 at 01:02 AM.