What's new
What's new

climb milling switch?

taiwanluthiers

Cast Iron
On the new Bridgeport style mill I got I noticed an adjustment on the front of the table itself. It shows a symbol for conventional milling and climb milling. I wonder if any mills have a "switch" like this and what does it do, engage the nut in such a way that climb milling doesn't cause problems?

Sounds like some sort of anti-backlash mechanism. Could you post pictures?

Mal

I will try as soon as I get home... the mill is sitting under a tin roof outside because I couldn't get a crane operator to get it up to the second floor. That roof will eventually get turned into a shop. Not ideal but I get 3 phase power and it will make future machine purchase much easier.

IMG_0778.jpg

All pictures are coming out upside down for some reason, and trying to trick the software by sending it inverted doesn't work. How can the forum software be smart enough to know??

anyways this is the adjustment I am talking about. It's some kind of an adjustment that has a picture for climb milling and regular milling. I don't know if this adjusts the backlash or something.

On the new Bridgeport style mill I got I noticed an adjustment on the front of the table itself. It shows a symbol for conventional milling and climb milling. I wonder if any mills have a "switch" like this and what does it do, engage the nut in such a way that climb milling doesn't cause problems?

IIRC, some of the K&T mills had this as an option?
I don’t recall exactly what it did, you may want to do a search in the K&T forum?

Kevin

I have yet to try it since the mill is not under power. I have to wait a few weeks before they put walls around the shed and apply power to it so I can try to power it up and see how it works.

Another thing I noticed on this mill... the ways are not dovetailed, but rather T shaped, like all square and stuff. This is true for all 3 axis. I never seen this on a mill before, I thought they were all dovetails.

Correction, the box ways are only for Y axis and knee. X axis ways are still dovetail.

I tried checking runout by putting a c32 collet inside and a 6mm center drill and it looks to be out .03mm or .0015” is that good? I haven’t been able to check the spindle itself but I got ways to correct slight run outs...

Back