What's new
What's new

Clutch Collar Removal???

Can'tWeld

Aluminum
Guys I have tried everything to remove that small ball from inside the clutch collar but no go.I spent yesterday and couple hrs this morning trying and trying.So I am left with no choice to either cut off the collar or the shaft.I watch some Youtubes on removing the ball but nothing works for me.There were couple Youtubes where just like myself they had to cut off either the collar or shaft but I don't know which one.The collar is 15.00 and I think the shaft is 40.00 but I don't know if by cutting one shaft if that will also cut the reverse shaft. The pic that is out of focus tried to show the ball that is inside the collar.I'm sure that someone here has come across this same problem so before I start cutting what did you do,if you had to cut what did you cut off to get to that dang ball?Thanks for any guidance and suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 103
Probably worked on 30-40 of those over the years and ain't cut on yet! A good STRONG magnet is it first item needed. The usual issue is old gluely oil sticking it in followed by a small burr on hole edge. I use brake cleaner and if that doesn't work a 50/50 mix of acetone/ATF and give it time to work ,like overnight.A sharp edged pick worked around the edge of the hole in the shaft to remove gunk/burrs won't hurt either. Work the knob in and out while putting the cleaners in there.

Thanks John for replying,yes sir I tried the magnet and I let it soak over night but it all leak out.The ball itself looks good and I don't see any residue on it.Using one of those dental pics I tried popping out the ball and also tried to get it to rotate some but don't think so.John I am also having trouble getting this cradle to come off the shaft,but its also not moving.Tried putting little pressure on back side with small pry bar and tapping on shaft with center punch but nothing.I don't know if a small puller would fit inside to pull it off.I'm not the first one in this unit,looks like others have work on this also.
Got this out,down to one issue

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 82
Are you taking the whole head apart, if you are then skip the ball for now, undo some of the gears in the head and you can move them out of the way, then you can pull the whole clutch collar assembly out. After you have it out, instead of pulling the ball out, you can push it into the shaft and it will roll out the backside. It works like s charm with no difficulty, just takes 5 seconds. But only works if your taking the whole head apart since you have to undo gears inside it. I would have to look at a schematic to give a line by line breakdown

Thanks guys,well after letting it soak some more I rolled it over and keep tapping and tapping then finally it came out.But I also keep pulling and pushing on the reverse shaft.I think the PO had work on this before cause some of the felt washers were missing,some of the screws were loose and looks like channel locks were use as the main tool.So for now taking a break for couple days and dream about that stinking ball

Back