What's new
What's new

confused about Boss5 automatic oiler lube pump operation

tomjelly

Stainless
I converted an old boss5 to mach3 and it has a powered oiler. Looking at the old Bridgeport schematic below, it looks like the spindle will be killed if the oiler runs out, which is fine, but I can't really understand from the diagram how the oiler is activated with the indichron. The other photos are of the capacitor on the contact terminal block and old indichron timing device ( https://datasheet.octopart.com/120PC12625-Curtis-Industries-datasheet-27869806.pdf ) Looks to me like the capacitor is dead (has a crack and reads open), and I want to eliminate the indichron in favor of a timer relay. My plan is to leave wire 138 as is so it will still kill the spindle if oil runs out and wire as shown, but I don't know how long to run the oiler motor or how often- any advice would be appreciated. I'm not super familiar with these powered oilers but it looks like its driven by a cam to raise the pump handle so I would only need it to run for one revolution then every x hours, but if the machine is only run for x-1 hours many times it could conceivably never oil so I need a strategy thereESchem03.jpgESchem03.jpgIMG_20180430_151739.jpgIMG_20180430_131422.jpg

I guess I'll have to look and see how fast the cam rotates to see if the pump plunger will have time to fall before it comes around again; I'm not sure if it is designed for intermittent or continuous operation. The ways definitely have oil on them but I'm not sure if that's from me operating the oiler manually, which I've been doing because its so rarely run. I just pulled the machine out so I can see the pump and will run it again tomorrow to see if I can see the cam moving. I marked the level so I'll be able to monitor it. Just regular way oil there, right?

Attachments

• IMG_20180430_142115.jpg
    IMG_20180430_142115.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 78
There is a little clock motor under the cover that powers the unit.
Cycle times vary from 10-30 Min per cycle. the motor doesn't care if it is turned on and off.
The pump plunger should be completely dropped in 5 Min or so.
If longer, the metering units are plugged.

The motors wear out, the gears wear out and either can keep the unit from moving oil properly.

A quick way to see if the pump is working, disconnect the other end of the hose shown in the picture above. Place the loose end in something to catch the oil. Power the pump up and keep an eye on it. You will have a slow drizzle until the pump operates and then a 1-3 cc squirt.

You have identified the problems associated with timers. Long time delays and short cycle times can lead to no lube at all.

The data sheet you posted a link to is simply an hour meter.

Bill

Looks like the unit is operating as intended, was just moving so slow I wasn't able to tell without shining a strong light in there and waiting a few minutes. Runs any time the spindle is running, 125v

Back