What's new
What's new

Converting HLV-H to "Dual Dial" HLV-H EM Tool Post Slide and Tailstock

cinematechnic

Cast Iron
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the HLV-H tool post slide to dual-dial HLV-H EM style? Is it possible to convert the tailstock as well? Has anyone done this successfully?

I do a lot of metric work. With the DRO it is not a problem to switch units. Having the ability to calibrate metric units on the tool post slide and tailstock would be a nice upgrade.

I'm well aware that Hardinge parts are costly. Once I determine if the conversion is possible and what parts are involved, I can add it all up and see if it is worth the cost.

Thanks!

...the gearing in the dual-dial can also be felt on the compound and crosslide, and a bit on the tailstock (not a big deal, but takes away the silent silky feel). Cheers

Thanks for the reply. I have not had the chance to see an HLV-H EM in person and was NOT aware that gears were involved in the dual-dial. I was wondering how they were handling the inch/metric feature since one of the dials would not be repeating an even pattern.

The fact that gears are involved would push me over the edge of thinking that it would be worth the effort to add a very compact linear scale to the tool post slide.

If you can get the parts, it's a fairly simple swap-out. My 1952 HLV (no -H) is dual dialed and there's nothing that can't be retrofitted to a different machine. If you can't get the parts then forget it unless you're happy making 127 and 125 tooth 60DP internal gears.

...If you can't get the parts then forget it unless you're happy making 127 and 125 tooth 60DP internal gears.

Thanks for the info. That (making internal 127T 60DP gear) does NOT sound like fun!

Seems like putting a linear scale on the tool post slide would not be a bad idea IF a very compact and chip/coolant proof scale could be found. The wire coming out of it would be the biggest hassle of going that route. But it would be the most accurate method.

Thanks for the info. That (making internal 127T 60DP gear) does NOT sound like fun!

Seems like putting a linear scale on the tool post slide would not be a bad idea IF a very compact and chip/coolant proof scale could be found. The wire coming out of it would be the biggest hassle of going that route. But it would be the most accurate method.

I have seen cheap conversions where a battery-powered (no wires) digital caliper was fastened to brackets on the tailstock or compound slide You can also buy very inexpensive DRO units in various lengths that are based upon the same sort of parts as are used in digital calipers, but do not have jaws or depth rod. Some have wires and remote readouts and some do not. The scales can be cut to any required length.

8'' Digital Horizontal Readout DRO Quill Large LCD Scale Mill Lathe Bridgeport | eBay

If you want better accuracy, Sony makes miniature DRO units with 1 micron (.00004") resolution. Note that the $10,250 price is for the DRO and the slide rest, not just the DRO and certainly does not include the Levin lathe.

LevinLathe.com: LEVIN Heavy-Duty Compound Slide Rest Featuring The Sony High-Resolution Digital Readout System.

Larry

I have seen cheap conversions where a battery-powered (no wires) digital caliper was fastened to brackets on the tailstock or compound slide You can also buy very inexpensive DRO units in various lengths that are based upon the same sort of parts as are used in digital calipers, but do not have jaws or depth rod. Some have wires and remote readouts and some do not. The scales can be cut to any required length....
Larry

I tried those Chinese "caliper style" scales a long while ago. They work fine for a while but when the chips get into it it will fail.

Not sure if there is a "chip proof" version these days. There are Mitutoyo and SPI versions now. Not sure if these are more "chip resistant". I don't use coolant (except for a bit of cutting oil) so I don't need something waterproof. But oil resistant would be a must.

Back