What's new
What's new

Coolant outlet on HLV-H

alan.bain

Plastic
My HLV-H has a very original looking block for controlling the coolant oil (with a very unoriginal flexible discharge pipe). However it lacks the usual quarter turn type valve to control the flow and there is clearly something missing since the knurled knob has little effect on the flow and the assembly provides me with a free coolant shower which while it cools the work makes me less happy!

Clearly there should be some kind of valve element pressed down on the seat by by the knurled knob (removed in these photos to try and show the inside) I even wondered if it might be a ball bearing?

If anyone knew what should be there it would be very useful!

IMG_2058.jpgIMG_2059.jpg

I consulted a thing called a Parts List, PL-7C to be exact.
Page 25 shows what Hardinge provided before yours got some extra features.
The extra hole you have shown.
The silver plug was a valve insert #14 with #15 a lever attached to turn the valve insert.
On the other side of the valve insert there is/was #9 a screw, #10 a washer, #11 a spring, and #12 another washer.

Take the orange part out and replace with this to control the flow with what you have: 21192 – 1/4″ Male NPT Valve – Pack of 2 | Lockwood Products, Inc

Hope this helps,
Bill

Mine is looking like this. The brass cone has a hole going through it. The brass cone is held in place with a spring and screw. The knob is removed with a set-screw.
Looks like there is a pressed in aluminium plug on yours. The knurled knobs are for rotation/height adjustment.

DSC_1046.jpg

Back