What's new
What's new

Correct bull gear position?

jccaclimber

Stainless
I pulled this head apart a few years ago to replace several bearings and discovered the smaller bull gear (PN 34 below) was rubbing on the housing (PN 38).
Parts diagram courtesy of H&W:
image.img

Here is the housing (click for large version):
163911d1456190419-rebuilding-series-1-varispeed-head-parts-replace-img_2391-small-.jpg
Here is the gear I'm talking about (click for large version):
163912d1456190549-rebuilding-series-1-varispeed-head-parts-replace-img_2390-small-.jpg

I shifted it a bit, and put it all back together. It seemed like the neutral gap between high and low gear was a bit narrow, but it wasn't an issue at the time so I left it. Over time I'm assuming the gear shifted a bit because the gap between high and low has slowly vanished. I'm going to pull it apart again to adjust this. The question is, what is the correct location of this gear on the shaft? Is there anything else I should watch out for while I'm at it, other than why the gear may have been moving over time?

Attachments

• 2J back gear assembly.jpg
    2J back gear assembly.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 30
As much as I like the above video, I realized that "go see this video hosted offsite" isn't as helpful to future searches as also putting in the answer and it is too late to edit the post above. The answer in the above video is "As close as it can be to the bearing without rubbing". That doesn't seem to explain why it was rubbing the housing in my case, but perhaps that will be more apparent when I get in there.

Back