What's new
What's new

Covert Variable Speed to direct pulley?

ridgewaybodies

Plastic
Convert Variable Speed to direct pulley?

I have an Alliant BP clone and looking to get rid of the variable speed parts. I want a 1:1 pulley or 1:2 system and just use my VFD to control the speed. Would anyone have pics of their setup if you done one? I was looking to maybe size up a pulley bushing and get a few pullys and bolt it together. I want simple bolt on stuff thats quick and dirty turn around. Any info greatly appreciated, especially pics.

The variable speed drive and the step pulley drive have the advantage of delivering approximately constant motor power to the spindle. If you add a VFD and slow the motor to 30 HZ, you will have 1/2 the motor nameplate power. If you slow the motor to 15 HZ, you will have 1/4 the motor nameplate power. So running a large diameter cutter at a slow speed can easily get you to a stalled/hot motor situation.

One way to get around that limitation is to get a new motor with a low (850 or 1140) rated RPM and at least double the power of the original motor. Not that easy if the motor has to be a special frame type to fit a mill. Then you can select pulleys to get your original highest spindle speed with the new motor running on 90 or 120 HZ, and still have decent power at fairly low spindle speeds.

Larry

Back