What's new
What's new

cutting / coolant for Hardinge HC

LarryJ

Plastic
I should be getting my long-awaited Hardinge HC soon. I worked my way through school running these machines in the late '60's / early '70's. Back then we always ran oil in the machines; and I can't remember what it was specifically. It's also what I liked least about running them; the constant to have oil mist. Fast forward many years and I had my own shop - and I went out of my way to have only synthetic water based cutting fluids. But, I am told water based fluids do not work well in a Hardinge HC. Would anyone have insight into the best flood coolant for this HC ? I am retired so this machine is more of a hobby, and I'll be running a little bit of everything; 4130, aluminum, Ti64, plastic, you get the idea.
Thank you for your input.

If the HC has the composite material under the slide coolant will cause the adhesive to let go and you will have a boat anchor unless you have it rebuilt.
We have had very good success with Locline for accurate oil placement and run a heavy stream on the back side of the part to catch the spray and take it down. Also have a swing arm with detents to accurately locate the flow.
We are doing close tolerance work with fine finishes and the oil is necessary for almost all of our work even on the plastic parts.

for min hardinge's I use the red oil from hangstiefers it has the viscosity of water. use it in my citizen as well. doesnt smoke or stink.
dont remember the number of it but anyone who sells hangstifers will. its hardcut something

Back