What's new
What's new

DIY Mill Head Installation Tool

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
The BP mill I just bought as a project needs to be reassembled. The previous owner had taken the motor and head off the machine when the motor shaft failed when the key came loose. I'll do a full rebuild at some point, but right now, I just want to get it back together so I can get an inventory of parts I need. Parts that were probably scavenged off this unit over the 10-15 years it sat.

Taking cues from Mr. Pete, H&W and others, I set off to make my version of a head installation tool post.

No need to build a fancy tool. Just grip a piece of round stock in your vise.It is better if you weld a same diameter piece of flat to the round stock, mill two flats on the round stock, or just drill a hole in a fatter piece of stock and insert the round stock. Any of those will give extra support to the vise's grip.

The BP mill I just bought as a project needs to be reassembled.

I just want to get it back together so I can get an inventory of parts I need.

Taking cues from Mr. Pete, H&W and others, I set off to make my version of a head installation tool post.

Sometimes a bit of compliance can be used to advantage when fitting assemblies. That bit of tooling appears to gusseted well beyond the requirement.

I used a slitting saw arbor held in the jaws of the 4 jaw chuck that was on the rotary table a few weeks ago. To be fair, the rotab and chuck were already on the mill so it was a trivial excercise when I needed to get the head off for some work.

I do not understand the why of this or need for it.
What is the purpose? Most certainly the tram will not be correct and just something close so why?
What am I missing as to use? I have never seen such.
Bob

If you need to get the head off a mill for some purpose (replacing the spindle spline driving bush in my case) and don't have a crane or, like me have a crane but the height is marginal, then this is a controlled way to get the head on and off the ram. Once the head is down at a lower level, the motor can be lifted off safely and the head can be disassembled to do whatever service work was needed.

I can lift the entire ram + head + slotting head off my mill with the crane, even got an eyebolt at the balance point. Getting just the head off is more awkward since I fitted an 8" riser block.

I do not understand the why of this or need for it.
What is the purpose? Most certainly the tram will not be correct and just something close so why?
What am I missing as to use? I have never seen such.
Bob

Perhaps it will become clear in a follow up video I am still editing. I needed to put the head back on the ram. It holds the head in a rough position while I line up the bolts in the ram adapter with the holes in the head so it can be bolted back into place. It's an INSTALLATION tool, not an ALIGNMENT tool.

And yes, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I chose this method.

Perhaps it will become clear in a follow up video I am still editing. I needed to put the head back on the ram. It holds the head in a rough position while I line up the bolts in the ram adapter with the holes in the head so it can be bolted back into place. It's an INSTALLATION tool, not an ALIGNMENT tool.

And yes, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I chose this method.

You think we need another Video ?

Rather
"I need to post here, to get people to watch my videos, to make money"

:nutter: If I added up all the money I made from making videos, I'd have exactly 0 dollars and 0 cents. My channel is not monetized. Nor do I have plans to do such. The only people making money is Google, unless you use an ad blocker like I do.

But, hey, I do appreciate your honest, misguided, ill-informed, and all around ignorant, commentary!

Back